Submitted by Zodimized t3_125yu0e in rva

I got an email from my townhouse complex (it was sent to everyone), saying that they will remove anything they deem "unfitting" for a patio, including things like storage boxes or empty flower pots that have yet to be used.

Trying to find out if they are even allowed to trash my property just because they don't like it.

EDIT: Note, this isn't Abandoned property, which is the only thing I can find laws for.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PopBopMopCop t1_je6tql1 wrote

Reread your lease to see if it says anything about this issue you're having, landlords are legally able to get away with a lot of bullshit unless it's specifically prohibited in your lease

Zodimized OP t1_je702lc wrote

Are you saying that because the lease doesn't say they can't, they are allowed to steal my possessions and dispose of them?

PopBopMopCop t1_je71bdy wrote

I think as long as they give you some kind of notice, yeah, but I'm not 100% sure. If you want a sure answer you should talk to an attorney.

Shamewizard1995 t1_je8dfmt wrote

Check your lease because it’s possible your lease explicitly allows this. If there is a clause about “unfitting patio clutter” or something like that, then they can do it. If there is no clause, they can’t and you can call the police if they start removing your items.

RulerOfTheRest t1_je6p5p6 wrote

This sounds more like you live somewhere with an HOA, since it came from the complex. If there is an HOA, then yes, they can pull this kind of stuff (which is why I looked for a house that predated HOA's)

Zodimized OP t1_je6v87d wrote

No HOA, just a giant rental complex full of rented townhouses. No one that lives here owns their home.

FromTheIsle t1_je9ecxr wrote

Before you fight this war...have you actually asked them if anything on your patio is "unfit?"

Zodimized OP t1_je9s4vq wrote

That's the problem, the lease doesn't describe anything, and they saying they'll just take and discard anything without warning the owner of said property. I don't even know when they are going to walk around.

I tried calling to talk to the property manager, but they haven't called me back.

Charlesinrichmond t1_je9yr0x wrote

depends on lease language. Basically a lease gives you certain rights to the property. You might actually be leasing the patio, or you might have access.

And you may only be leasing certain rights to the patio. Basically, look at the lease language.

But honestly, the easiest thing will be talking to the property manager here, and see if there is even an issue, and if 10 minutes of moving flower pots will solve it

goodsam2 t1_jeask3o wrote

What, empty flower pots seems like BS lots of stuff is dormant or outright dies in the winter to be replaced.

AsstCurmudgeon t1_je8cfc3 wrote

How detailed do they get in their definition of "unfitting"? If they've left it vague, and you can see inconsistent enforcement in the complex, it could be seen as subjective and possibly harassing.

FromTheIsle t1_jebgh93 wrote

If I had to guess there are probably people keeping literal trash on their patios. Maybe not you, but they are pretty much softly saying clean up your shit before we do it for you.

If you are wondering whether or not your things are garbage...Im gonna say then those things are probably not garbage and you are fine. Common sense should inform you what kind of things a landlord would want to clean up. If you have empty flower pots you don't want trashed, can you put them inside for a day or out a sign on them saying to not throw them away? If the owner is rarely there it seems like the path of least resistance is to just hide them for a day or two then put them back.

Leases by default almost always say that you are responsible for upkeep of the appearance of the unit unless other wise stated (like if lawncare was included). Yes its language that could be abused, but it's also a common sense rule where if you have literal trash on your patio, I'm actually doing you a big favor by cleaning it up for free and not charging you. So the owner is within his right to some degree... That said an over zealous owner could just have a hair up his ass. This is the shit that property managers have to deal with regularly. Rich pricks with no people skills are alot sometimes.

fusion260 t1_je6moem wrote

This reads like an episode from the Dear Bastard! podcast—a humorous (and potentially triggering) podcast for anyone who's gotten stuck in the CC/reply all pattern of an unnecessarily-bureaucratic email thread about nothing.

Zodimized OP t1_je6p4oe wrote

It's the dumbest thing. It's one the dozen of Weinstein Properties around town, and they want to now complain that flower pots and things can't be outside on the patio.

fusion260 t1_je6rggb wrote

That sucks.

I don't believe landlords can arbitrarily remove a tenant's things that aren't explicitly restricted in the lease or tenants guide, but I guess that wouldn't stop them from trying.

Chances are, one of the other tenants have been complaining incessantly about something they don't like and the PM/landlord is overreacting.

Zodimized OP t1_je6sdxf wrote

It's dumber than that. This is the property owner coming by for an inspection for the first time in years, and is just upset that it doesn't look nice.