Submitted by Navarretr t3_zwdzyk in rva

My father recently reached out to the city of Richmond regarding getting his homes gas reconnected. There is already a gas line and meter connected to his home from the previous owners, however my parents never ‘connected’ it since they didn’t have any use for it when they moved in over 10+ years ago. The house is in west end Henrico.

Now that he wants to reconnect the service, the city is citing that the gas line is “dead” and will require a payment of about $6k to reconnect it. The person whom he spoke to, who works with the city, cited that the fee would be lowered if gas usage was anticipated to be higher. He only needs the gas for a new stove he bought. The fee could be waived if he was switching the entire house to gas (water heater, stove, dryer, hvac), however he’s not interested in doing that.

Has anyone ever dealt with a similar issue? I find it odd that the fee to reconnect is so high. What exactly is meant by the current gas line being dead? I’d understand if the house needed a meter and the gas lines installed, but they both already exist.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

upearlyRVA t1_j1u4w0j wrote

We had a similar situation a couple years ago and wanted to reconnect gas logs. Gas line hadn't been used in over a decade. City required us to get gas line inspected and then the city tested the line before turning on the gas. All that cost money but nothing anywhere close to $6k. If the gas line is ok, I can't imagine a cost that high. I'd try and talk to someone else at the City.

Charlesinrichmond t1_j1uld9q wrote

dead line probably means you have abandoned meter and drop line. Theeey've done that a lot the last few years as they put the new lines in. I've saved a couple of meters by being on site

InterstateExit t1_j1um1mk wrote

You could always get a propane conversion kit and run the stove off of that. You can get a larger tank than the ones for grills, and it can sit outside. Good luck with all of it!

JeffRVA t1_j1vcfbu wrote

This is probably the best route since OP won’t be using much for just the stove. I have propane now for my stove and tankless hot water heater. I’ve got a 120 gallon tank that only needs filling every 4-5 months. (And when I say filling it’s maybe 65 gallons put in.) And then you don’t have to deal with Richmond Gas Works which I can tell you from personal experience at my old house is a total shit show.

InterstateExit t1_j1vj5xl wrote

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be worth the thousands of dollars' expense just for a stove. A long time ago, I had a stove that ran on an outside propane tank, and it was inexpensive and very easy to set up.

MuadDave t1_j1un1ih wrote

That's a good suggestion. The other benefit to propane is more heat output.

Melodic_Apple_9504 t1_j1uizsz wrote

I would speak with a plumber first and get their advice. They will have to pull permits and such but should be much cheaper than 6k

Charlesinrichmond t1_j1v0hxp wrote

I should add that induction ranges are really good now as good as gas

Rogleson t1_j1ub87q wrote

Perhaps I’m confused, but if they live in west end Henrico, does the city have jurisdiction?

hmtjr t1_j1wvmbt wrote

Escalate as best you can at city gasworks, then call your Henrico supervisor for constituent help - no reason he/she can’t do some real work for you.