Submitted by marzeliax t3_10m5f6l in rva

Where I can I buy black lentils that isn't Whole Foods or Amazon?

I've checked Oaxaca Market, Tan A, and a couple other random international markets in the counties when I happened to be nearby, but no luck. No luck at Kroger/Aldi/Target/Lidl either.

Anyone know a place that sells them?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Horror-Fisherman-575 t1_j610dr2 wrote

Maybe in bulk bins at Good Foods Grocery?

marzeliax OP t1_j611frr wrote

Haven't heard of this place yet. It's a little far but just called and they do have them in the bulk section. Thanks for suggesting!

Horror-Fisherman-575 t1_j617c7i wrote

It’s worth a trip. Best bulk bins in town, to me. Spices, beans, nuts, grains, dried fruit, etc. nice store. Like a kinder, gentler Ellwood.

AccidentallyTaschen t1_j61ff85 wrote

FYI Elwoods has the same bulk bins

TripawdCorgi t1_j61pc1o wrote

I wouldn't say they have the same, there's an overlap on some things but I have found things at each that the other doesn't have. Black lentils should be at either, I usually grab them from Good Foods.

marzeliax OP t1_j61g7o4 wrote

Groovy. Another user suggested but hadnt confirmed they still had. Deff will be checking it out

BlueXTC t1_j6340te wrote

Royal Bazaar and Farmers Market behind 2nd & Charles on Broad St. Every type of lentil you can think of for dal.

bkemp1984Part2 t1_j61c0x6 wrote

I got some at an Indian one a couple years ago, organic at that. I don't remember exactly which one but I'd guess based on my usual haunts it was Laxmi or Royal Bazaar

marzeliax OP t1_j61csno wrote

These are both relatively close. Hadn't heard of them yet tho. Will definitely visit. Thanks for suggesting!

FEdart t1_j64lb96 wrote

I’ve got a soft spot for Laxmi Palace since I grew up growing there (I still remember back when there was a place next door that sold cheap bootleg Bollywood movies lol). But Royal Bazaar is massive and probably better for what you’re looking for. Seems like the kind of place that would have cheap bulk staples like lentils.

amp__123 t1_j612u2e wrote

Elwood Thompsons used to have them in bulk. Been a while though since ive been there.

marzeliax OP t1_j6148d4 wrote

Fair. They are close but I didn't remember a bulk section. I'll check sometime. Thanks for rec

acedak t1_j6181yr wrote

Try an indian or middle eastern store store

marzeliax OP t1_j61atzz wrote

I would have thought the same. I did try a couple, one random one nearby and one in Maryland when I was there. No luck.

Any you know of or recommend?

Edit: just got rec'd Laxmi and Royal Bazaar.

tootruecam t1_j61zfok wrote

Why not Whole Foods?

marzeliax OP t1_j620gku wrote

They are priced at a shockingly high premium at Whole Foods and at that point I'd rather just order from Amazon since they're pretty much the same company anyway.

markerfive t1_j65rudg wrote

$3.49/lb doesn’t seem particularly shocking

marzeliax OP t1_j65sz0z wrote

Is that what they are currently at the store? That is currently the price at Amazon, tho that does not include the $9.95 whole foods order fee. If that's something that gets waived with extra steps, cool. But right now, I'm interested in the local places, and not Amazon (which was always my back up)

Available-Reward-912 t1_j6283hj wrote

If nothing else pans out for you, try Tuckahoe Seafood. I bought some there a while ago.

marzeliax OP t1_j65es53 wrote

This suggestion intrigues me on behalf of seafood!

ohyanno t1_j65071s wrote

I bought some at Wegmans and also at Fresh Market

markerfive t1_j659c3d wrote

I buy them at Whole Foods or order them on Amazon.