Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TheSpittah t1_isotj4r wrote

Wait 2 decades, wonder what ever happened to it and find out Shell bought the patents and shelved it

BabySinister t1_isshxua wrote

This won't happen, what they did is find ways to replace lasers with sunlight, so that you don't need a laser with an external power pack anymore. It's not a new 'energy source', it's not even a new solar power technique. It's an alternative to conventional testing setups that replaces some power hungry components with systems that can use light from the environment and the Earth's magnetic field to operate.

E_Snap t1_isssd96 wrote

If I’m being honest, I’m far from concerned about the amount of energy that research takes up

FwibbFwibb t1_ist9p0w wrote

Lasers are horribly inefficient at converting power from your wall to actual output power.

ubermeisters t1_isotoc6 wrote

oh yes your pessimism definitely helps. good job on being a positive voice for change.

−33

TheSpittah t1_isoz0c5 wrote

Happy to help! We all play our part in society, thank you for fulfilling yours

UnfinishedProjects t1_isp655l wrote

It made you think didn't it?

FwibbFwibb t1_ist9snb wrote

The first time this comment was posted 10 years ago it made me think. Since then it's been a race between morons to see who can be the first one to post it in a new thread.

Franklin_le_Tanklin t1_ispmnkr wrote

Ah yes. The circular form. A power not of flesh, but over flesh.

AutoModerator t1_isoo4xl wrote

Welcome to r/science! This is a heavily moderated subreddit in order to keep the discussion on science. However, we recognize that many people want to discuss how they feel the research relates to their own personal lives, so to give people a space to do that, personal anecdotes are now allowed as responses to this comment. Any anecdotal comments elsewhere in the discussion will continue to be removed and our normal comment rules still apply to other comments.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

the1ine t1_isp7u8z wrote

what is 'this' referring to?

−1

BabySinister t1_issidpz wrote

So if you read the article it says in many quantum test setups you need a powerful laser and microwave generator, so you need an external power source to run the experiment. These researchers designed an alternative test setup that uses sunlight in place of the powerful laser and the earth magnetic field in place of the microwave generator to perform similar tests, so you don't need much external power to run the tests anymore.