Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

hertzzogg t1_iyd0m8k wrote

Who else remembers self-winding watches. They had a tiny, weighted ratchet inside that used inertia against your normal movement to keep the spring wound.

scubascratch t1_iye65x9 wrote

Self winding watches are very cool and I love the irony that you need an electrically powered watch winder to keep them going if you don’t wear them daily

Find_a_Reason_tTaP t1_iydgxbh wrote

Mechanical watches are still very much a thing.

I am sure you have heard of Rolex?

I guess that most people don't realize that the vast majority of nice watches still function in exactly this way. Sorry for upsetting you all by bringing it up.

−3

lyam23 t1_iyeu8e3 wrote

Mechanical watches exist across the affordability spectrum. Take a look at Seiko fives for stylish and well engineered mechanicals.

Find_a_Reason_tTaP t1_iyez7ae wrote

Then I would have had to explain watches even further to people that obviously don't understand them because I couldn't just say "the vast majority".

With those seikos costing a few hundred dollars to start, most people that don't know mechanical watches wind themselves would see them as nice watches.

−1

Wagamaga OP t1_iycz4ds wrote

Walking can boost not only your own energy but also, potentially, the energy of your wearable electronic devices. Osaka Metropolitan University scientists made a significant advance toward self-charging wearable devices with their invention of a dynamic magnifier-enhanced piezoelectric vibration energy harvester that can amplify power generated from impulsive vibrations, such as from human walking, by about 90 times, while remaining as small as currently developed energy harvesters. The results were published in Applied Physics Letters.

These days, people carry multiple electronic devices such as smartphones, and wearable devices are expected to become increasingly widespread in the near future. The resulting demand for more efficient recharging of these devices has increased the attention paid to energy harvesting, a technology that converts energy such as heat and light into electricity that can power small devices. One form of energy harvesting called vibration energy harvesting is deemed highly practical given that it can transform the kinetic energy from vibration into electricity and is not affected by weather or climate.

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0116838

PropOnTop t1_iyczqr6 wrote

I just hope our entire culture will not end up powering somebody's brake lights...

Professionalchump t1_iyd8oqj wrote

I'm already creating the floobelyank which will soon make this technology obselete

hurl9e9y9 t1_iydceai wrote

That just sounds like slavery with extra steps.

AutoModerator t1_iycz0mg wrote

Welcome to r/science! This is a heavily moderated subreddit in order to keep the discussion on science. However, we recognize that many people want to discuss how they feel the research relates to their own personal lives, so to give people a space to do that, personal anecdotes are allowed as responses to this comment. Any anecdotal comments elsewhere in the discussion will be removed and our normal comment rules apply to all other comments.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

spongeloaf t1_iyd64tb wrote

Just like carbon nanotubes, I've been hearing about human powered wearables for decades now. Call me when a device that is useful and affordable goes up for sale.

madvlad666 t1_iye23oj wrote

The latest high-quality content on /r/science: perpetual motion! You put in a little bit of energy and this special device “amplifies” the power and gives you 90x as much energy back!