Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Sashinii t1_izay7o6 wrote

Support universal basic income. Literally every job will be automated in the 2020's or the 2030's.

BeautyInUgly t1_izax7ff wrote

medicine is probably the most safe

stupsnon t1_izayex7 wrote

Medicine dealing with people. Especially old people.

AI_Enjoyer87 t1_izayd44 wrote

All industries will have let go a good percentage of their workforce in 5-10 years. I wouldn't bet on anything. People should just do what they are interested in and hope to do it for as long as possible.

blueSGL t1_izb504b wrote

not only will companies replace people likely the ones they keep on are the cream of the crop. Meaning you not only need to get into a fairly advanced sector, you need to be really good at it.

VenetianBauta t1_izb800n wrote

Just keep in mind that everyone on the comments will be giving their own personal (informed or not) opinion. Nobody really knows what will happen the next 10 years.

With that said, here goes mine:

In 5 years, the majority of STEM jobs will be using AI in one way or another.

In 10 they will completely reliant and nothing will be done the way it is today.

In 15 years the majority of STEM jobs will not exist anymore or will have changed enough to not be recognizable.

Chemical_Estate6488 t1_izba36d wrote

That’s my take as well. I would bet that many jobs will still exist because of inertia, but nothing will be done the same.

hducug t1_izawztm wrote

All the stem field jobs will still exist by 5-10 years. The singularity won’t happen by than. I guess the most complicated jobs in the stem field will be the last to get replaced, it makes sense to me.

Adorable-Effective-2 t1_izb8sta wrote

The jobs might be still there, but perhaps less people be needed to do them. I’m watching YouTube videos of a guy using copilot and chatgpt to code literally 5 TIMES faster

hducug t1_izb9t3y wrote

Yes, that is already happening today. What I meant was that the jobs which are the hardest will last the longest because the ai isn’t smart enough to do them. Like inventing or discovering stuff.

Adorable-Effective-2 t1_izbagja wrote

Certainly, but a majority of workers like 90% at least don’t invent or create, they perform a task discovered and done before

Phishzz t1_izaydwa wrote

maybe theoretical physics

rlanham1963 t1_izazsqs wrote

Whatever is safest will be most targeted because it will garner the most resources. Ironically, it is things that are not hard that will be slow to be automated. In STEM, I would guess items in pure science like astronomy will garner fewer resources and thus will be last to automate. Things needed and wanted that are in short supply, like nurses and physicians will see great focus on automation to make them universally available.

randomwordglorious t1_izbaxg5 wrote

Don't worry about it so much. No one can say for sure exactly when AI will make most STEM jobs obsolete, but by the time it does, a whole bunch of other jobs will also be obsolete, and society is going to have to adjust somehow. Whatever situation you find yourself in, you'll be in it with hundreds of millions of other people.