Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

NTIASAAHMLGTTUD t1_j2arjrn wrote

jesus christ, the last sentence literally sounds like the type of keywords people input for Stable Diffusion. PFD is king, as always.

Also recommend Man in the High Castle for those who haven't read it yet.

uneaknayum t1_j2dtiuv wrote

Watched the show. Ate it up. Have yet to read the book.

Reading The Divine Invasion currently.

Love me some PKD.

Fhagersson t1_j2b28tu wrote

Bruh if anyone doesn't believe we live in "the future" yet show them this. Also fucking crazy accurate prediction. Amazing find.

debil_666 OP t1_j2aotqc wrote

From "the three stigmata of Palmer Eldritch". Isbn 978-1-7802-2040-6

Edit: previous post: https://www.reddit.com/r/singularity/comments/yg10h4/i_was_reading_a_short_story_by_philip_k_dick_and/

canadian-weed t1_j2bfffz wrote

> Palmer Eldritch

this character is literally elon musk

also a really fun pkd book

uneaknayum t1_j2dtef7 wrote

It's been so long since I've read it I never made the connection.

But Jesus, that's a gross comparison.

Great book for sure.

"We are here to do things we cannot do elsewhere."

I literally have The Divine Invasion open on my lap right now.

PKD is the god damn man.

el_chaquiste t1_j2bgjkz wrote

Basically he's describing something that could be considered future tech magic.

Well, stable diffusion and generative AIs still seem like sorcery to me.

I know they aren't and a bit of their basic principles, but they still are a surprising, unexpected development for almost everyone.

Except for PKD, apparently.

PapaSUDAFED t1_j2boxtk wrote

Wow! I can’t believe how accurate that is. And the fact that both of those technologies were released to the public within just a few months. In 1977 he came out and said he had recently received visions that is work from the last 20 years had been unconsciously based on fragmented memories from other realities. And that he had been given information that we are in a computer generated reality. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0LDv8fm_R7g

phoenixjazz t1_j2dr2xh wrote

And sadly he took his own life long before his work was widely known and appreciated.

Flannakis t1_j2axj12 wrote

Amazing precision

Bakoro t1_j2cs18f wrote

This is an extremely common phenomena in computer science and related areas.

A huge amount of stuff that we see now was already conceived of and often elegantly mapped out in the 60s or 70s.
It's the Iron Man meme, "I'm limited by the technology of my time" a thousand times. They simply didn't have the processing power to do the things they thought about. Occasionally they had everything but one bit of magic insight which makes things work.

It's kind of annoying really. I've got a degree in Computer Engineering, and there were dozens of times throughout college where I had what I thought was a brilliant idea and it turns out that someone already described it in the 60s.
Even now, stuff that gets popular as "the hot new thing" will have some old forgotten paper. Like, I don't have the link handy, but I just read a thing about Map/Reduce from when it was blowing up, and a researcher pointed out that it was already described in the early 80s.

A lot of the sci-fi writers of the time pulled from real research and just made some logical leaps.

agentrnge t1_j2bhaan wrote

I need to read more P.D.K. so many on my list.

Geneocrat t1_j2ct24q wrote

Who’s going to start the company to build the next president?

BootHead007 t1_j2dkme3 wrote

I believe Google and Facebook is have been working on it since their creation.

Jungle-born t1_j2cxhdp wrote

Just tried putting in Moby Dick into Midjourney and got a warning that the word Dick is banned.

UserofDAN t1_j2d4bfu wrote

When asking chatgpt to rewrite the text in the style of Moby Dick for some reason it adds an additional paragraph:

But as the crew spoke of their excitement for the animator, the ghostly voice of the whale seemed to whisper in their ears, "Beware, men of the sea. Do not become too enamored with this machine, for you may not like the difference it brings."

BootHead007 t1_j2dkbx7 wrote

The man was absolutely a modern day prophet.

Don’t even get me started with V.A.L.I.S.

AdminsBurnInAFire t1_j2dld6z wrote

Ridiculous find, so many sci-fi authors in the 60s and 70s predicted technology that is commonplace today but Phillip K Dick was the king of this.

dep t1_j2dao46 wrote

Off topic and not to be "that guy" but "a lot" is always two words

debil_666 OP t1_j2dk47o wrote

Noted! English isn't my first language :)

MacacoNu t1_j2e8bvm wrote

Act as a Great Book animator. I'll tell you a book, a size long | short, a version which can be funny | sad | same-as-book, and a style. You'll write a text with a python dict called prompts, containing elements in this format: `numb_frame`: '[put here a <version> description of the numb_frame scene of the book as a image caption, in the format "detailed_scenes_and_subjects, art_medium, styles", choose the words considering that these prompts will be frames of our <version> video]', The first element must have 0 as its numb_frame, and the following items must increase it's numb_frame in 70 each. Remember that these prompts will be used to generate a animation. So write it as well described image captions of our Great Book. Do focus on the visual elements and describe well enough the scenes, as a detailed CLIP caption.

My first ask is: the metamorphosis, long (18 items), sad, Monet. Caution to not make Gregor looks just like a normal bug instead of a giant and human transformed into a bug

MacacoNu t1_j2e8fes wrote

then put the result into deforum stable diffusion. It also writes the camera movements params

MacacoNu t1_j2e8ige wrote

This is wonderful, what a great time to be alive

AldoooblA t1_j2eyi9j wrote

The settings, are they referring to how you're gonna react to the story, happy funny sad