Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AdorableBackground83 t1_j2qcsj2 wrote

How would one find meaning in life?

There’s always gonna be new challenges to pursue, new problems to solve, new frontiers to create.

Post scarcity does not mean Utopia.

turnip_burrito t1_j2qwrtz wrote

Every generation has had to make peace with their existence. For anyone not on eternal morphine drip, lobotomized, or otherwise artificially altered brain, the answer to this is a mental evolution, not solvable just with material possessions or environment.

Social validation will likely still exist, and hobbies. People will continue to derive meaning from these. There will be sufferings over problems and scenarios we consider petty or alien today, and the people then will have to overcome those sufferings somehow if they want to be happy.

And then you'll have the other people/entities: constantly high or who have changed their brain to always be satisfied. They won't worry about these things.

antipod t1_j2qo8hc wrote

We already have abundance we just refuse to share evenly. Cynic me does not think singularity will necessarily solve a lot of our problems.

zero_for_effort t1_j2qqku1 wrote

I don't think post-scarcity implies no suffering whatsoever, but a massive reduction in suffering. I certainly don't think suffering as we experience it is necessary to find meaning in life. When suffering is inescapable it might be mentally soothing to think of it as being in some way necessary but I would suggest that's just how people have tried to justify an unfair world, and grapple with their own mortality.

Akimbo333 t1_j2qeqqb wrote

The sky's the limit. It would be best to teach love and appreciation for the things one has. You should consider watching Shinsekai Yori, it has a unique perspective on abundance to an extent

No_Ask_994 t1_j2r77bp wrote

You seem to Think that suffering=meaning.

That might not be the case

No_Ninja3309_NoNoYes t1_j2r4py5 wrote

Through books, movies, art, VR, hobbies, and maybe seven other things. Of course, life expectancy will be over a century. The world population would have declined to a level that most of us can't imagine right now. Hopefully, a VR type Internet will exist. But it will be more secure and decentralised than what we have now. It will potentially mix the best features of Reddit, Twitter, WhatsApp, YouTube, Google, ChatGPT, Wikipedia, and other apps/websites, but in a democratic and rational fashion. We could have a hive mind lite, not like the Borg, but in a good way.

Ortus14 t1_j2r5row wrote

By having goals. Computer games will be highly immersive, so any goals within those games will give your life meaning.

Humans may still be limited, so having the goal of making a close fellow human friend could be a goal.

Developing skills and getting good at things can also be a goal. Humans haven't been the best at Chess in a long time, but many humans still enjoy playing it and even devote their lives to it. It's the same with any skill.