Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

You_Stole_My_Hot_Dog t1_jbr1zr3 wrote

If you are crying because humanity will be dead in a billion years, you need therapy. You shouldn’t be living your entire life depressed because of what’s going to happen far, far, far in the future.

Geetright t1_jbr2cd2 wrote

"Far" doesn't even begin to cover it, we're talking billions of years from now.

ul_sorty OP t1_jbr2nq1 wrote

Ik that, this is not about me, anybody i know, or anything that is current.

−10

BisonWolfElk t1_jbrh4r1 wrote

The Bible has a few resources for folks in existential crisis.

Go ahead and downvote if you so desire, but there is a lot found in the teachings that many may find comforting and beneficial- that the vastness of the universe may unnerve- it’s beauty and depth known only to one fully, and for us, basking in the greatness of mystery and discovery.. the depth is beautiful and scary, and uplifting, and makes some perhaps for the slightest better- a fellow to Their neighbor they’ll try- out of their misery of the unknown come strength and acceptance in the admiration of discovery and the unknowns itself.

Faith is a beautiful thing in that it accepts the unknown fully. Makes a decision and finds on that peace. For those upset by the vastness, there is always god. And a book written, a guide to internal betterment and salvation- a peace with accepted creation.

Space is unknown. Do you believe in the vastness? Mind you- perhaps you don’t give it a name, but it very well could love you, waiting for you to name it.

−7

IAlreadyFappedToIt t1_jbr5pzh wrote

No one experiencing existential dread about the cosmos is going to feel better by posting about it on reddit. Either get therapy or a telescope, your choice.

HollowofHaze t1_jbr7dow wrote

This is a completely baffling post. You seem to be conflating dark matter, dark energy, and entropy. The former two are purely theoretical, and not one of the three will prevent us from becoming a trans-solar species. None of them will prevent us from achieving greatness "last to the end." None of them render our efforts hopeless.

Yes, based on our current understanding, it seems the universe will inevitably end someday. But why is that a failure? Why does success have to be infinite to count for anything? You and everyone you've ever met will die someday, does that mean nothing we do in life has any point? Does knowing that a TV show ends in a series finale prevent you from enjoying it? Is it pointless to eat a meal just because your plate is empty when it's over?

Obviously not. We're here, we're alive, and we'll do great things until we--as individuals, and as a species--finally kick the bucket. If you spend all your time fretting that the road will end someday, all you're doing is ruining for yourself what could've been a wonderful ride.

ul_sorty OP t1_jbv10en wrote

Bruh imagine being 🤓 on a vent post sure i may have mix up things names sure some might be theoretical. But the way we know the universe now is both depressing and empty and constantly getting even more empty. Also this is not about me. I never said i didnt enjoy life

HollowofHaze t1_jbvd2jx wrote

If you were looking for people to simply indulge your vent post and agree that space is depressing, I'd recommend somewhere other than r/space

ul_sorty OP t1_jbvgaha wrote

I wadnt looking for people to agree, i just needed to get it out

No_Assumption_6028 t1_jbragfc wrote

"I don't like dark matter. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere."

Upset_Cobbler_9080 t1_jbrki49 wrote

i believe this was supposed to come off as an intellectual post, however it has more or less came out to be stupidly melodramatic and petty.

mikebug t1_jbr2qso wrote

cheer up

The only evidence for dark matter is that, without it - some of our cherished theories don't work.

it is more possible likely that there is a mistake in our basic theories.

Scientists believed in "the ether" as a way to explain stuff until fairly recently......

ul_sorty OP t1_jbr2uu8 wrote

I know that, but it really doesnt help

−5

BrakeNoodle t1_jbrgcob wrote

Have fun with your “cosmic perspective”, let us know when you come back down to earth

ul_sorty OP t1_jbrhy85 wrote

Bruh its called existential dread thats kinda all its about

−9

serf_829274 t1_jbr5zsw wrote

I see no better reason to make the most of our lives. To and for each other.

I get your sentiment. And I share the despair that we'll be stuck in our corner of the universe. But we can make the most with what we have and can do

Echoing others: Reach out to a professional who can guide you through these thoughts and feelings, which I want to validate. You can find different ways to frame your perspective

ObligatoryOption t1_jbr7xfy wrote

Humanity may never become an interstellar species for an entirely different reason. Just as Homo sapiens barely existed 300,000 years ago, it may no longer exist in another 300,000 years by virtue of having evolved into another species, or even several other species. Some may evolve into a species better suited for space habitation: less reliance on skeletal structure, less oxygen needs, extreme longevity, perhaps resistance to the effects of cosmic radiation, things like that. These may reach other stars, and while they would no longer be considered human beings, they would owe their existence to their ancestors, of which you may be one.

hahsire t1_jbrfbcy wrote

I wonder what people who keep living on earth will evolve into. Some sort of urbanist creatures?

ul_sorty OP t1_jbru7q8 wrote

If they evolved from us and still held information from the past im pretty sure they would still be humans cause what did we call other members of the homo genus... Humans. Yeah ik they wont be homo sapiens but they most likely will still fall under the homo genus so they will still be human. Also ik what you where trying to say, and that is true it doesn't really help with the some what irrational nature of existential dread. And i know for a fact i will be most likely no one ancestor

−1

js1138-2 t1_jbrhsyz wrote

There’s a whole science fiction series about a race of aliens trying to figure out how to survive the death of the universe. As I recall, it was written before we decided on forever expansion.

OfTheDim t1_jbrr1cn wrote

Humans won’t even be around when it happens, so not sure what you’re getting a fussed up about.

ul_sorty OP t1_jbrtixa wrote

Its called existential dread also yeah ik

baba121271 t1_jbs7cwe wrote

You should meditate, it’s quite the rabbit hole.

peterh80 t1_jbs92rd wrote

Here’s a different take for you; for how long has space exploration been going on in earnest now? 50 years (moon landing)? 80 years (rocket development in 2nd WW)? Hell, even if you go back to the invention of the telescope, that’s still only 400 years or so. And that is nothing but a blip on a cosmic scale and even on the Homo sapiens timeline it is nothing. And yet, you make today your cut off point in stating that we’ll never achieve more….. quite a narrow minded tale of you think about it. Imagine what the next 400 years will bring in scientific breakthrough, insights and development! You let the next 400 billion years depress you without giving mankind the benefit of the next 400 years of development… or the next 4000…..

InformalPermit9638 t1_jbrkuol wrote

Oh, but OP: "People like us who believe in physics know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." You live in a gloriously weird universe that isn't even locally real. Keep grasping at the science, the transcendental awe will spark again with something. Everyone experiences a dark night of the soul eventually.

ul_sorty OP t1_jbrpbh0 wrote

i don't even know what this means, i cant read this, i might just be dumb but like what this mean i cant wrap my head around the wording and grammar of it. sorry if this sounded rude

InformalPermit9638 t1_jbrtieh wrote

I threw an Einstein quote your way, referred to Nobel winning research last year suggesting the universe isn't locally real (which is bonkers and definitely gets me excited), and suggested the funk you're feeling may be "a dark night of the soul" and is something everyone goes through (probably).