Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

3dPrintingDad t1_isy66bp wrote

Stop using my tax dollars to buy bombs, use it for stuff like this instead

Pesky_Moth t1_isy8jc0 wrote

Why does it look like the entire cloud mass has one big light source on it from the same direction?

Screwball1984 t1_isz7j5q wrote

Unless I’m mistaken it’s because the telescope doesn’t see this. It sees infrared and then NASA uses that info to color it

cubosh OP t1_iszapw7 wrote

simply because there are nearby stars in and around the cloud casting their light on it all. the very dark areas indicate thickness or density in cloud matter

Turbulent_Diver8330 t1_isyadwz wrote

When you think about it, people were absolutely obsessed with the stars and the night sky back in the day. And it’s a no wonder. Not saying they could see stuff like this with their naked eye, but you basically could see the Milky Way galaxy from literally any where in the world with a clear night sky thanks to their being 0 light pollution. What would you be obsessed with if you could look up and see THAT every single night of your life

cubosh OP t1_it3m6t5 wrote

i often have similar daydreams about beings that live in a different galaxy that is in the process of merging with another galaxy. like imagine if you could see the andromeda galaxy taking up a quarter of our night sky. it seems likely that all intelligent beings have their views shaped by their skies

619364290163 t1_iszx6up wrote

Comparing the Hubble shot and the JWST shot, there's actually almost no change in shape of the Pillars. I know they're massive, but I'd have guessed you'd be able to see some changes.

​

Amazing shot, can't wait for what more is to come from JWST

cubosh OP t1_it0yxlm wrote

the pillars of creation nebula is 5 lightyears across. for scale, the distance between us and the next nearest star alpha centauri is 4 lightyears. so the nebula occupies a space spanning numerous star systems. it takes our own planet Neptune 165 years to orbit our sun and its only 4 light hours distant. with that said i would look for pixel sized deviations in the nebula after at least several centuries elapsed

Marchello_E t1_it07kqu wrote

Cool!

When I look at the side-by-side-view then I notice that the center whitish cloud shifts a bit.

Is this cloud on the move or is this a parallax because the picture is taken from a slightly different position?

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/nasa-s-webb-takes-star-filled-portrait-of-pillars-of-creation

cubosh OP t1_it0zc3g wrote

good thinking but its absolutely not parallax. not enough distance in earths orbital diameter to do that with this nebula.

BurdenSurging t1_it1o7m8 wrote

...and isn't it magnificent!!! I just love the JWST.

Codametal t1_itazhhl wrote

The image is so incredibly detailed that I can almost see the Enterprise....