Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

astro_pettit OP t1_irmna48 wrote

Large Magellanic Cloud taken from ISS during my first mission, Expedition 6 in 2003. This was taken when Space Station was flying XPOP attitude, a solar inertial attitude that allowed the solar panels to point towards the sun without tracking. Essentially, the station itself was the tracking mechanism. A solar inertial attitude is about one degree per day different from a stellar inertial attitude thus for 30 second time exposures the stars remain as pinpoints. Since about 2006, ISS has flown LVLH attitude, where one side remains pointed nadir towards Earth at all times and time exposures yield stars that are arcing trails.

This photo is a four image stack, taken with a Kodak-Nikon 760 (an early professional digital camera, a Nikon body with a Kodak FX-sized sensor), Nikkor 58mm f1.2 lens, ISO 800, with each exposure of 30 sec.

More astrophotography can be found on my Instagram and Twitter. Please let me know if you would like to see more here for Reddit!

BobWheelerJr t1_irmoe5l wrote

Ho

Leeee

Crappppp...

1. That's an amazing image.

2. It's made doubly so by knowing it was taken from the ISS... a picture OF space, taken FROM space.

3. I can't believe a legit astronaut took the time to come here and post it.

This has quite literally positively impacted my mood and my day. Thank you!!!!

astro_pettit OP t1_irmp8fo wrote

Thanks for kind words; happy to share

Macr0Penis t1_irmuvxw wrote

Even better, he can now legit say he has communicated with an actual astronaut! The internet is amazing, and yeah, would love to see more of your photos! Thank you.

tribblydribbly t1_irn3fqp wrote

If you wind up doing like a little presentation like you had mentioned a couple comments up I would be thrilled to listen. Beautiful pictures thank you for taking the time to share them with us.

PlutoMyBeloved t1_irmtnvr wrote

astrophotography from the ISS
w h o a
thanks for coming here to post this! :D

Whoudini13 t1_irmv2xh wrote

This is probably a stupid question but...Do they have some sort of backyard type telescope they play around with?

astro_pettit OP t1_iroy6bg wrote

Your question is good; we have 400mm f2.8 and 1200mm f8 Nikon telephoto lenses on ISS and these in effect can be used as a refractor telescope.

Whoudini13 t1_irp2lxp wrote

Kool ..I know there's all kinds of digital equipment to use..but a mirror telescope to me is just...like comparing digital music to analog music...and from space

TheCallousBitch t1_irnejb1 wrote

You are a hero.

I am completely in awe of the achievements and hard work that led to you becoming an astronaut.

I’m deeply appreciative of the sacrifices you have made to continue exploration and scientific advancement.

I’m floored by your photography and feel like there is hope for the future… despite all the horrors of current day politics and the economy.

Thank you for sharing this amazing image. It provides so much more than just “ooh, pretty!”

nickkohrn t1_irmrtef wrote

Dang, I’ve been wanting to head to the Atacama from the northern USA to capture this target with my 80mm refractor. I can’t imagine capturing this from space.

Thanks for sharing! 🤩

thejml2000 t1_irmx1eu wrote

First off, this is an awesome photo! I’m sure I speak for everyone here when I thank you for posting today!

Reading your explanation, does this mean we can no longer take these exposures since it’s LVLH? Is there/could there be a mount on the station to allow a camera to track for 30s exposures again, or is the station moving too fast in its orbit for that to be viable? Are there windows that face outward still?

Also, for this photo, we’re you able to mount the camera or strap it to a wall or the like? Or did you actually hand hold for 30s exposures? (Which is super challenging here on earth, I can only imagine it’s even more impossible when floating in the ISS!)

astro_pettit OP t1_iroxuth wrote

I use Bogen arms as camera mounts to hold the camera in the position to make the wanted composition. In weightlessness, two Bagen arms can be connected together to make a very flexible positioning system. Now that ISS is flying LVLH attitude, making star field exposures longer that 2 seconds with a 24mm f1.4 lens gives stars as streaks.

mysticalfruit t1_irmsknl wrote

I've been told the ISS is loud. Do you have to deal with vibration issues as well taking a 30s explosure?

Danobing t1_irp0r6k wrote

Aside from the iss vibration isolation is huge in space photography

zeeblecroid t1_iroxgo3 wrote

> This was taken when Space Station was flying XPOP attitude, a solar inertial attitude that allowed the solar panels to point towards the sun without tracking. Essentially, the station itself was the tracking mechanism.

... Well, this is me, never again complaining about how much a tracking equatorial mount costs.

anchoriteburan t1_iro14be wrote

I used to use similar Kodak digital cameras (Canon bodies) when I worked in an electron microscopy lab in the early 2000s.

Kodak had an early lead working with both Nikon (yours) and Canon (ours) and squandered it thinking they could just keep their film cash cow going.

A friend whose family came from Rochester and worked for Kodak told me that Fuji was a forbidden word in their house! (As if it’s Fuji’s fault that Kodak made bad choices).

Now even the SLR is going away in favour of mirrorless bodies and phone cameras.

I feel old.

Few_Carpenter_9185 t1_iroezsi wrote

That is great! And the raw images must have been very good to only need a stack of four to produce that final result.

I believe I understand what the ISS maintaining "XPOP or solar inertial attitude" is, and how a constant orientation to the sun produces only about 1°/day of change in the visible starfield through a specific viewport. Because the only significant change is one additional day of movement of the Earth in its around the Sun.

An "LVLH" Earth fixed orientation for the ISS instead, would cause almost 2° of movement in a 30 second exposure. Assuming a 91 minute 30 second orbital period rough average between boosts.The LMC covers about 10° of the sky, so... Smeeeeearrr.

Is there any additional equipment that held the camera steady during the 1/2 minute exposures? And are there challenges with internal reflections in the viewport?

astro_pettit OP t1_iroyh3p wrote

you got the math right; ISS now pitches at 4 degrees per minute, 16X faster than Sidereal rates.

eaglekineagle t1_irpo4b1 wrote

Sir, I don't care what anyone else says. I think you are truly a hero. I understand this is your job, your mission, but take a moment to consider everyone who sees what you have accomplished and shared. It's uplifting, awe inspiring, impactful, and truly a gift to humanity.

You're an inspiration to us all, thank you for everything.

Ardtay t1_irp1mef wrote

Thanks for the tracking info, I was wondering how that was done on something orbiting at mach 25.

surfzz318 t1_irp4ure wrote

Question. How much of space/ stars/ galaxy are visible to the naked eye from space compared to night on earth?

jeerabiscuit t1_irms1pw wrote

Do the stars look as numerous with naked eyes from there?

astro_pettit OP t1_irnl0d1 wrote

Absolutely, during orbital night

ale1987 t1_irp8ohg wrote

Silly question I have had for a long time: I understand that stars in space are only visible if we are under the shadow of the earth. So, if we hypothetically traveled to Mars (for example) would we see absolutely everything black during the months that the trip lasts? Because in theory, there would be "nothing" to shade us.

SwampoO t1_irmuqb1 wrote

As someone who holds astronauts in the highest regards I am star struck. The highest of 5s for the post.

acrewdog t1_irms7zo wrote

Thank you for this, I've wondered why there isn't a telescope on the ISS. Are there windows that face the stars in it's current orientation? I'd like to see what new photographic sensors can do, my pixel takes great star shots

sterexx t1_irnacpb wrote

I imagine it’s a lot easier to just put a telescope in space than dock with a space station, attach it, then have to account for the station’s rotation in its own aiming, and also have a large area blocked from view due to not being able to actually turn all the way around

astro_pettit OP t1_iroynqz wrote

With 400mm f2.8 and 1200mm f8 lenses, we effectively have big hunk of glass refractors on ISS.

mikethespike056 t1_irmxywz wrote

lil bro took a picture of space from space fr

god-doing-hoodshit t1_irn25ne wrote

Wow. This is amazing. I wonder, is the cloud visible to the naked eye and all the stars? I read and understand the 4 shot stack but still. Mind blowing.

Also first time I made it early in what’s guaranteed to be a big thread. Hi everyone!

Highspdfailure t1_irnml9e wrote

Space is just as beautiful as it is dangerous. Thank you for sharing this photo. Very cool.

Do you have other photos to share while you were up there?

astro_pettit OP t1_irnp4zw wrote

I have taken tens of thousands of photos over my career, and some of my are best on display here on my reddit profile, my Instagram, and my Twitter. More to come soon!

Highspdfailure t1_irnwokf wrote

Thank you once again for sharing. I and many other appreciate it.

IamAJediMaster t1_irmrtkg wrote

It's just breathtaking. I can't imagine how it looks when one is floating around up there. Great work sir!

Brewmaster30 t1_iroevhk wrote

I’m gonna go ahead and smash that ‘follow’ button on this dudes page

BullMoose86 t1_irn20xw wrote

I’ve always wondered about this! Thank you so much for sharing with us! This is amazing.

bluewhite63 t1_irn22jc wrote

Is it true that the mere sight of such a wonder gives you a deeper sense of interconnectivity between all things?

MojoAlmighty t1_irn5427 wrote

Thank you for coming here and sharing this photo. Its an amazing shot! Zooming in, you can see dim, distant stars and I wonder how breathtaking it must have been with the naked eye - and from the ISS.

spacefreak76er t1_irncs4c wrote

Many thanks for sharing this photo! I’ve never thought it possible to take photos from ISS…..after all, it’s zooming around the Earth at close to 17,200 mph! This blows my mind.

Half4sleep t1_irnos5b wrote

Feels like I'm being pulled towards the purple-ish stars/galaxies (I'm not sure what they are :D)

This is really great. Thank you for sharing!

edwardbobbert t1_irop603 wrote

Actual astronauts are on reddit now? Somebody please tell me I'm dreaming

politicaldonkey t1_irmzjzr wrote

And people still think there's no chance for life out there

Ok_Geologist6313 t1_irnbhr2 wrote

Do people actually think that or just say it because we’ll never be able to prove it?

mincecraft__ t1_irn20d4 wrote

Incredible, made even better by the fact it’s taken from outside the atmosphere. Mind blowing.

1oneaway t1_irn4nu4 wrote

Absolutely incredible, thanks so much for sharing.

Acceptable_Trade_463 t1_irn4rd9 wrote

This is incredible, thank you for taking the time to share this amazing image sir.

ToXiC_Games t1_irnedsq wrote

I always wonder what it must look like up there, or on the moon, cause the shutter rate on cameras is too slow on normal ones to capture it all, so it just looks blank. Thank you!

aQUantUMchiLD1 t1_irng6s8 wrote

Is this a normal view you guys have outside? I mean even if you have to zoom, the immensity of so many stars, probably many or some are galaxies…the universe is truly humbling.

DankDaddyPatty t1_irnhygx wrote

So just out of curiosity, is this a visible spectrum picture? Seems a lot more realistic looking than most (as beautiful as coming afterwards is) I just love just seeing what stuff would look like if we could somehow see it with the naked eye xD

astro_pettit OP t1_iroyx9o wrote

this is a visible spectrum photo; colors are more vivid due to no atmospheric scattering

dogtherevenger t1_irniksh wrote

Respect. Absolute respect. My only question is what did you FEEL when you saw that the first time?

HPFTurboM3 t1_irnp61a wrote

This is beyond cool! Are there enough observation windows aboard the ISS that could enable you to take more like this one in the future?

Jimbo_Jones_ t1_irnx3bf wrote

Somehow, I doubt that you were ever aboard the Large Magellanic Cloud. Nice try!

imjeffp t1_iromvwh wrote

I'll also point out that OP holds a patent for a zero-G coffee cup. A true renaissance man!

trollsmurf t1_iroo9ms wrote

A thought though: a reasonably good telescope fixed on ISS with the benefit of there being humans to make changes, repairs etc to it. Too much vibrations? Gliding along with ISS, but in proximity?

StSalvage t1_irp09ll wrote

Omigosh a real life astronaut! Please can you tell me, how do you avoid space junk and have you ever seen any unexplainable flying objects? You take some mind boggling pictures, thank you.

Danobing t1_irp0ke0 wrote

I cracked up when I saw this thread title. I totally imagine you showing someone your phone and being like here's a photo of my dog, my cat, my metallic cloud and my garden. Beautiful picture

The-Jesus_Christ t1_irp1peu wrote

Thanks for sharing! How do you know where to find it in space? As in, what is your reference point? Would you use the constellations?

stringwise t1_irpg6or wrote

Best thing I’ve seen on Reddit in a long, long time!

Pyroperc88 t1_irp7zvx wrote

I hate rollercoasters.

I'm scared of heights.

And I'm definitely in poor physical shape.

But you could strap me into a rocket to go to space anyday lol. I'd prolly piss myself but the elation of going to space and pure adrenaline prolly put a permanent smile on my face lol.

This type of stuff is just absolutely wild and makes me excited for the future as space gets more and more available for more people! The things amature astronomers do on the ground in cool, it'll be insane in space!

Closest I'll probably ever come is Kerbal Space Program but I've landed and returned from Duna so atleast I feel like I too can say confidently, "Space is very hard, but so very very cool."

Plus you smart smort folks provide all that crazy science Kyle Hill, PBS Spacetime, Joe Scott, and of course Dr Becky digest and tell me about in formats i can sometimes kinda understand (i love Matt even tho i understand maybe 1% lol).

And hey! You followed Scott Manleys advice! You flew safe! 🥳

Okay, imma stop before this gets waaaaay to long haha. Cheers!