Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

hdufort t1_ivh1lpt wrote

Why did Shackleton organize an expedition to Antarctica? Some people are natural explorers and are willing to take huge risks for science, adventure, country, or glory.

LONER18 t1_ivh0rf6 wrote

I wouldn't mind going to be a guard or something. I have nothing keeping me here and no useful skills.

Embarrassed_Aside_76 t1_ivh0vsh wrote

It's most people who want the scientific discovery aspect. As well as probably lifelong recognition to some degree.

But even with those, it'll be hard to get people who fit the description well

jaybee1669 t1_ivh38ow wrote

As long as the trip is safe-ish, I think a ton of people with needed skills would take part in being the first settlers to Mars. You're talking about a historic venture to make a foothold in the solar system for mankind. The hardest part would be leaving your politics and religion at home. You'd have to be ok with living within a pretty strict set of rules to keep that community safe.

RABBERS- t1_ivh1mdn wrote

Pass, living in a habitat with recycled everything and going outside means death I’ll pass. Now if we make a massive leap in technology and can somehow terraform mars in a matter of decades then probably

Dudeist-Priest t1_ivh2r43 wrote

People will do it just to be the first, even knowing it is a one way trip. Then, others will go if they pay is substantial.

Ok_Cap_408 t1_ivh2r81 wrote

This is a very fascinating philosophical question. I suppose one answer could be sending a group that reflects humanity. However, not everyone will agree on who that group should consist of. Another possible solution is to initially focus on technical know-how. In other words what skills will early mars civilizations need? Regardless of the answer, it is a rare opportunity to design a civilization from the ground up.

PurpleSupermarket835 t1_ivh4alk wrote

I definitely would go! Intense Solar radiation means no lawn or gardening outdoors. Gives MAN CAVE a new meaning.

The-Temple-Of-Iron t1_ivh4b50 wrote

I have 4 young kids and the military messed me up. I'm out. Besides, if i can't hike in my mountains and breath fresh air, I'm checkin out. Let me know when Mars has fresh air on their mountains.

neu42 t1_ivh4bq1 wrote

I would, just because the bones and joints hurt with ongoing age and I hope the lower gravity will slow down this process.

[deleted] t1_ivh2e2p wrote

is elon musk emperor of mars? then i am NOT going

SpartanJack17 t1_ivh4me7 wrote

Hello u/Navstar27, your submission "Who would move to Mars?" has been removed from r/space because:

• Such questions should be asked in the "All space questions" thread stickied at the top of the sub.

Please read the rules in the sidebar and check r/space for duplicate submissions before posting. If you have any questions about this removal please message the r/space moderators. Thank you.