Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

[deleted] t1_iwu8u3a wrote

[deleted]

Alililele t1_iwu9erc wrote

must HAVE, not must OF. WHY IS THIS EVEN A THING?!?!?

MtPollux t1_iwuae9v wrote

The contraction "must've" sounds similar to "must of" when spoken. I don't know for a fact, but I strongly suspect that this is the origin of this common mistake.

BobWheelerJr t1_iwuadax wrote

For the same reason "irregardless" is now in the dictionary. Proper use of the language has gone to Hell in a hand-basket.

PenisTriumvirate t1_iwvad1k wrote

A big part of what shifts languages over time is people speaking them poorly

brandonmiq t1_iwuva47 wrote

I prefer my hell in ham-baskets, thank you very much.

lolwutpear t1_iwvuv1w wrote

I learned the word irregardless from noted linguist Helen A. Hambasket.

arcosapphire t1_iwx4vdy wrote

Psh I bet thou use "you" when it should be "thou"!

Language evolves. The variant you think of as being pure and correct would sound ridiculous to someone who spoke an older version. This is forever the case. Language has never been better or worse. It just changes.

BobWheelerJr t1_iwx62vt wrote

Verily, verily I say unto thee, nay good sir. Evolution truly occurs, but sloppy grammar and diction should assuredly not.

arcosapphire t1_iwx7z36 wrote

But all of that evolution is just "mistakes"--from the perspective of older speakers.

Do you call an apron a napron? If not, why not? That's what it used to be until people misanalyzed the article.

BobWheelerJr t1_iwxb96w wrote

I get that, but a mispronunciation is different than using a clearly incorrect term.

ramriot t1_iwuc8j4 wrote

Evolution & differentiation of language over time, methinks

−3

ammonium_bot t1_iwuvmfp wrote

> rocks must of spent

Did you mean to say "must have"?
Explanation: You probably meant to say could've/should've/would've which sounds like 'of' but is actually short for 'have'.
^^I'm ^^a ^^bot ^^that ^^corrects ^^grammar/spelling ^^mistakes. ^^PM ^^me ^^if ^^I'm ^^wrong ^^or ^^if ^^you ^^have ^^any ^^suggestions.
^^Github

TheMostDoomed t1_iwx23z2 wrote

Love the adition of the music crom Carl Sagans Cosmos.

Pineconeshukker t1_iwy8xbf wrote

If I am not mistaken we are going to have larger and more asteroids in the coming years. It’s part of a cycle.

TimeTraveler3056 t1_iwxjbnz wrote

They should be visible over my house before dawn. I'll go out and try to see.