Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SuppressiveFire OP t1_j6d1fn0 wrote

Source: https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap230128.html

Description: Comet-like plumes are blowing over the volcanic peaks of Mount Etna in this wintry mountain-and-skyscape from planet Earth. The stacked and blended combination of individual exposures recorded during the cold night of January 23, also capture naked-eye Comet ZTF just above Etna's snowy slopes. Of course the effect of increasing sunlight on the comet's nucleus and the solar wind are responsible for the comet's greenish coma and broad dusty tail. This weekend Comet ZTF is dashing across northern skies between north star Polaris and the Big Dipper. From a dark site you can only just spot it as a fuzzy patch though. That's still an impressive achievement if you consider you are gazing at a visitor from the distant Oort cloud with your own eyes. But binoculars or a small telescope will make for an even more enjoyable view of this Comet ZTF in the coming days.

w2173d t1_j6d1pyu wrote

Very cool! I was hoping someone would share this spectacular sight! Thanks

SuppressiveFire OP t1_j6d4bol wrote

Of course, it's a stunning photo! I actually posted it yesterday morning since it was Sunday for me in Australia (it's now nearly 1:30 AM on Monday for me), but it was removed for it not being posted on Sunday. I forgot most of Reddit goes by USA time, so it was actually Saturday afternoon in the USA when I posted it. lol

wdd09 t1_j6f5772 wrote

The rules in this subreddit go by UTC time. It's on the right side.

"Images are only allowed on Sunday UTC"

w2173d t1_j6fs8b9 wrote

Wow, learning something new every day. Odd rule though, surely there must be a good reason

danielravennest t1_j6ifjq2 wrote

There are other subreddits for astrophotography, so this one limits photos to 1 day a week to allow more room for general space news.

w2173d t1_j6iqx0e wrote

I enjoy this with you are sharing and it’s high quality! Minor man made rule hurdles are just an inconvenience. Thanks

desucca t1_j6dint9 wrote

Beautiful! How many exposures were required? I'm wondering if an amateur can get out and see some results with some basic long exposures? Is it similar to neowise as far as brightness?

Thanks for sharing

SuppressiveFire OP t1_j6dqtuk wrote

Probably quite a few. The image description on the website gave a single frame of the exposure, and judging by the quality compared to the final image, there was probably a lot of these stacked on top of one another.