Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

HeadyToothgraze1 t1_j8v6r7f wrote

I’ve been waiting for this

5OZO t1_j8v7zpe wrote

Everyone has. Glad they finally got around to it after all this time.

Suspicious_Introvert OP t1_j8v87jt wrote

But i doubt it would be optimised as MacOS

−7

despitegirls t1_j8v9nx8 wrote

I mean, yeah? Apple Silicon is proprietary, so Apple would need to work with Microsoft to run it natively which won't happen.

alaninsitges t1_j8vu8yx wrote

I just went through this a couple of days ago because I needed to use an app that is Windows-only and doesn't work on Wine. Fully expected to spend several hours downloading, installing, fighting with VirtualBox and its extensions, etc. But decided to try Parallels instead and...holy hell! It was about three clicks to install Parallels and then it freaking asked if I wanted to install Windows 11, and I'm like...uh, yes? And it freaking downloaded Windows 11 from Microsoft, did an unattended installation, and just plopped me into the desktop in about 15 minutes. It works great, Desktop, Documents folders mapped back and forth, etc. The "coherence" feature lets that one app I need run in a window just like a regular Mac app.

Super impressed.

yoonssoo t1_j8yctps wrote

Yeah, I've been using parallels from over 10 years ago and it's always worked well. Though it's still ARM based Windows so it is pretty limiting... But all the ARM based Windows application can run just fine on Parallels and it's super easy.

__Loot__ t1_j9aa3bb wrote

I have a question, I have a media server called ebmy that uses windows and other programs that uses windows that runs all the time. If i use the mac will the windows programs still run in the background?

andretii t1_j8w5nfv wrote

The article provides no link to the “official documentation”

yanginatep t1_j8vdjt9 wrote

With virtualization does that mean it'll still run x86 programs?

imanze t1_j8wato0 wrote

Virtualization would not allow you to run a different processor instruction set so no. Microsoft has been shipping an ARM version for a long time now. This I would imagine is windows 11 ARM. All the same features and anything compiled for uwp or specifically with an arm compiled version will work. Running x86 compiled applications on ARM or vise versa would require emulation which is significantly slower.

BitingChaos t1_j8xq5w9 wrote

x86 and x64 apps run on Windows 11 ARM through emulation, not virtualization.

Yes, I run my x86/x64 software on Windows on my M1 Pro / ARM MacBook Pro.

Shavethatmonkey t1_j8xdj16 wrote

Running it in Parallels or using a remote desktop isn't really "running Windows 11 on an Arm Mac" to me. That would mean running it on bare metal, in my biased opinion.

Now MS needs to get MacOS working on HyperV, then we're talking.

someNameThisIs t1_j8xxj0j wrote

Isn't virtualisation running on bare metal, at least the CPU side of things?