Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ToolemeraPress t1_jdkdtsb wrote

Haven’t read cnet in years

SAugsburger t1_jdn1zat wrote

This. I hardly think you were the only one that stopped reading them. Their human writers were second tier for a long time. Ars Technica passed them by a good 20 years ago. After CES kicked them out of best of CES from the controversy about a decade back they lost what little credibility they still had left. They got resold from CBS for a fraction of what CBS paid for it. Needless to say their impact on tech journalism has waned dramatically and in my opinion already were one of those websites from the late 90s that technically still existed, but were no longer relevant.

ToolemeraPress t1_jdn6oaw wrote

More so the army of get rich quick tech bloggers are kicking out AI generated trash. I’m comfortable with my tech knowledge but fear for younger generations. 25 yo gamer daughter doesn’t understand ethernet from wifi from coax cable

SAugsburger t1_jdn918w wrote

While I think the latest shift is going to hit CNET more I think that they were circling the drain long before anybody heard of chatGPT. Whereas tech knowledge I think a bit of a difference for those that grew up in the 90s or earlier was that you needed a bit of basic tech knowledge on some level to do even basic tasks. Today things have been dumbed down considerably.