Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

isekai-cheeese t1_it9wkl2 wrote

when the world stops being an absolute shit hole? iduno

bartleby_bartender t1_itarbvx wrote

The more important question is why should virtual reality evolve beyond escapism.

MasqueOfNight t1_ita2nyd wrote

Virtual reality seems like it could be potentially useful as a psycjological tool for teaching or strengthening empathy, exposing people to differing perspectives and circumstances in a more personal/intimate way, if the simulation were made sufficiently immersive.

APeacefulWarrior t1_itaq1if wrote

That was one of the core ideas in Philip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?"

(Ie, the book that inspired Blade Runner.)

MasqueOfNight t1_itb36ny wrote

Y'know what, you're right. I completely forgot about that. Read the book a few months ago.

DaemonAnts t1_ita4cpv wrote

Step #1: Evolve social media beyond escapism.

Altiloquent t1_ita4gdz wrote

Wow what a bunch of BS. And they use a picture of a worker in a fab using AR as a thumbnail for a piece on VR lol

Drewafx t1_itajjvb wrote

VR should just be VR imo

real world can be mixed reality for long distance - replacing meetings/video chatting/remote working

augmented reality in the room - replacing projector/monitor/etc

do those things make people happy?
probably need 3rd place but if it's virtual
why does it have to be real while wearing something that makes limitless possible?
if ppl didn't want to escape the confines of reality, it can be done in real world or strict rules simulated like sports games

The_Pfaffinator t1_itantbz wrote

I work for a medical university, and VR/AR is used by students to practice surgeries on smart "dummies" without any risk to real patients.

stage_directions t1_itasbyz wrote

Yeah, I’ll take the one who learned on live animals please.

Gathorall t1_itbvr3z wrote

The alternative is more likely to be people who only did very few or no real life practice runs versus one's who practiced with simulations as well.

lightknight7777 t1_itayyzw wrote

First, succeed at it being amazing at escapism, because escapism is a perfectly valid reason all its own. Then the establishment of the technology will compel its other uses.

Jhill520 t1_it9zrql wrote

Only when it stops becoming Virtual and starts becoming alternate..

Hakuryuu2K t1_ita803y wrote

By making it something you have to do that’s not fun, like being at a virtual desk, at a virtual office, for virtual remote work. That virtually would do it.

mezihoth t1_italwmp wrote

remote education

DeafHeretic t1_itdfghx wrote

TL;DR

For me, VR/AR will become useful when telepresence is useful for me.

E.G., when I can send a drone out to scan around my property, or check for the location of a tool or supply item in my shop, without having to walk out there.

That may sound like laziness, but my health makes walking the mile to my back acreage a chore, and half the year the weather is lousy (rain/snow/wind). It would save me a lot of time and enable me to do things I don't do (check for trespassers or other dangers - e.g., forest fire) because of effort and time.

I can think of a number of other beneficial use cases of telepresence - and I am not talking about avatars and some kind of virtual "metaverse".

pablorepe t1_itdls4b wrote

As internet, it just needs proper payment methods to become a business & marketing platform, among other activities.

HankScorpio4242 t1_ita6mfv wrote

IMHO the fundamental problem with VR is that it is isolating. No matter what you do, it won’t feel natural because it isn’t. All our current media exists in a frame within the “real world”. VR removes the frame and, as such, our context and connection to reality.

seanyseanerson t1_itbenty wrote

It's just the next step of social media. Making social interactions even more convenient and on tap simultaneously makes you feel more alone, and makes real life social interactions feel inconvenient rather than fun.

YeetThePig t1_ita3e3o wrote

When it finds a practical purpose beyond escapism, virtual reality can evolve past escapism. As it is, there’s almost nothing VR can do better than its meatspace equivalent or which cannot be accomplished through the use of less disorienting/less confining/less obnoxious tools.

−1

NamelessTacoShop t1_ita3rii wrote

My bet is it really won't. I think AR is going to be the next big thing, not VR.

−1