Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Loki-L t1_isx7a6y wrote

Question: "How do I know if they are working, if i can't watch them or track their every keystroke?"

Answer: "Have you checked whether the work assigned gets done?"

thisguy_right_here t1_isxb5zn wrote

Pre covid an old guy was upset he couldn't work from home a few days now and then. He was talking about his boss and said

"if you don't trust me to work at home, then don't trust me to work in the office. Because if I am a cheat, it doesn't matter where I sit".

Grig134 t1_isyzbb4 wrote

For real, how dumb are these managers? I don't need to see people on my team sitting at a desk to know they're working, I can literally sort deliverables by creator to see who's doing what.

fgdfghdhj5yeh t1_it12x5c wrote

there's a reason they go for management and not actually doing something.

heckdditor t1_isztjdh wrote

This is the only answer. If there is work being done, then they are working. Even if they are asking their friends or a bot to do. PERIOD.

despitegirls t1_isxqjuv wrote

>Nadella is staunchly [employee tracking]. Any kind of employee tracking will only distract from the bottom line, Jared Spataro, Microsoft’s VP of modern work, recently wrote for Fortune. “While you might get a lot of data from tracking this type of employee activity, I can confidently say it’s the wrong data,” he wrote. “And surveillance doesn’t just lead to bad data—it undermines trust, a critical factor in organizational success that, once lost, is incredibly difficult to regain.”

>Rather than monitoring, Nadella encourages leaders to get back to basics: setting clear business goals. 

>“Really make sure that you’re very clear, as leaders and managers, about what the goals of the company or the team are, setting the norms for how people collaborate, and communicate,” he said.

Highlighting this for those that don't read articles. Glad the CEO of Microsoft is saying this and hope others follow.

nubsauce87 t1_iswvnsw wrote

IMO it doesn't matter either way so long as the work is done well and in a timely manner...

CEOs just want to justify the big buildings and their fancy offices...

Tbone_Trapezius t1_isx1rq7 wrote

What’s the data show on how much it costs to maintain a physical office? It’s not just the mortgage - investigate the cost of maintaining every physical device that’s there - software/hardware updates and maintenance contracts along with the amount of manpower involved. Those data points are directly impacting the balance sheet today.

anlumo t1_isxjuag wrote

Yeah, my company moved to remote-only when the lockdowns started, and now we hired so many people that we can’t afford an office that would fit.

Agitated_Ad6191 t1_isx4aor wrote

I alway find it a pleasure to listen to this smart man. Refreshing to hear this compared to so many other big American companies that create a culture of distrust against one another.

Was it Bill Gates himself who handpicked Satya Nadella back when he stepped down?

danielravennest t1_isxq438 wrote

I'm easily distracted by the work environment. Too many people talking and walking around. I took early retirement and work half time from home now and get more done.

Some things need to be done in person, but a lot of things don't.

Infamous_Yogurt2858 t1_it13lvh wrote

I'm a strong proponent of work from home (as a disabled person, it could be the biggest shift in employment accessibility in my lifetime), but I do think that some people don't realize that work is work, and the expectations are the same whether in the office or remote.

kwereddit t1_it2qjp2 wrote

The problem is that remote workers can easily work two or three jobs from home, but the employers have no way to catch them doing this unless they can install in-home surveillance but the workers know this will ruin their multi-job scam so they resist.

Employers just have to accept that people will work multiple jobs from home. As Nadella has realized, they shouldn't care as long as their make-work projects get done.

The future of remote work is contracting out multiple jobs to other remote workers in India and Viet Nam. US remote workers should be able to manage a dozen remote jobs with subcontracting.