Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

CBus-Eagle t1_iyba0qo wrote

I have 6 Eufy cameras set up around my home. How do I get in on the impending class action lawsuit. Just kidding about the lawsuit, but I am disheartened to read this. I specifically chose Eufy because I didn’t want my videos stored on a cloud. I wanted complete control over where they are stored.

ZeroVDirect t1_iybjkif wrote

No cloud was also a selling point for me. I wonder if specific ports can be blocked to stop this behaviour? Anyone?

sim642 t1_iyc3l1a wrote

If you don't want any cloud connection, just block all WAN access for them.

ZeroVDirect t1_iyc44ij wrote

If possible I'd like to keep connection open for software/security updates andclose off access for anything else. Is that possible?

wedontlikespaces t1_iyd5lxp wrote

Depends on how it's implemented, it may use different ports for different things.

If so, you could just close any port that it uses for streaming data. If the data is streamed via UDP it probably does use a different port than it does for updates, but you would have to look into it find out exactly what it uses.

anlumo t1_iydbr5z wrote

If it doesn’t have network access, you also don’t need security updates.

−2

AngelKitty47 t1_iyd05ra wrote

thats why i installed a wired system... it's a hassle but worth it

BlackGold09 t1_iybpc6z wrote

Updated Story with Eufy response:

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/11/29/eufy-camera-cloud-uploads-no-user-consent/

“Eufy Security is designed as a local home security system. All video footage is stored locally and encrypted on the user's device. With regard to eufy Security’s facial recognition technology, this is all processed and stored locally on the user's device.

Our products, services and processes are in full compliance with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) standards, including ISO 27701/27001 and ETSI 303645 certifications.

To provide users with push notifications to their mobile devices, some of our security solutions create small preview images (thumbnails) of videos that are briefly and securely hosted on an AWS-based cloud server. These thumbnails utilize server-side encryption and are set to automatically delete and are in compliance with Apple Push Notification service and Firebase Cloud Messaging standards. Users can only access or share these thumbnails after securely logging into their eufy Security account.

Although our eufy Security app allows users to choose between text-based or thumbnail-based push notifications, it was not made clear that choosing thumbnail-based notifications would require preview images to be briefly hosted in the cloud.

That lack of communication was an oversight on our part and we sincerely apologize for our error. This is how we plan to improve our communication in this matter:

1. We are revising the push notifications option language in the eufy Security app to clearly detail that push notifications with thumbnails require preview images that will be temporarily stored in the cloud.

2. We will be more clear about the use of cloud for push notifications in our consumer-facing marketing materials.

eufy Security is committed to the privacy and protection of our users' data and appreciates the security research community reaching out to us to bring this to our attention.”

stillrocking3770k t1_iybs5l7 wrote

Explanation sounds reasonable.

You can disable the preview feature any time, and they'll add labelling if you use the preview feature.

Guess we put the pitchforks down (for now).

8Eternity8 t1_iybwhrs wrote

Except the APIs aren't encrypted and you can access the video feeds from cameras using VLC without any authentication.

https://youtu.be/qOjiCbxP5Lc

qqanyjuan t1_iyc2m80 wrote

This is literally an ad?

8Eternity8 t1_iydmeii wrote

So apparently if you shared a YouTuve video before the ad finishes it just shares the ad. I have just learned this.

OCedHrt t1_iybsysq wrote

The headline reads like anyone can access the thumbnails.

cyber1kenobi t1_iyb1oh3 wrote

“Footage” aka video…? Or thumbnails? Not ok without consent either way but there’s a major difference

hclpfan t1_iybks8c wrote

Full resolution photos and faces identified

CimmerianX t1_iyb3k3q wrote

Not ok either way... To bad people don't know how to setup network border firewalls in their home.... Outbound traffic should be monitored as much as Inbound traffic.

BaneBlaze t1_iybfyy2 wrote

This would solve the problem but likely break the feature they use cloud for.

Trade offs I suppose

medievalmachine t1_iycxunh wrote

It's for push notifications. How else is it going to work?

CimmerianX t1_iydcifr wrote

With customer approval and opt in, that's how.

medievalmachine t1_iydiv6y wrote

You do have to opt in, otherwise how would they push it?

​

I'm not saying I know everything about this situation - I don't care to spend time to research a product I don't own.

But if you're getting email/text notifications it's not secret.

GetOutOfTheWhey t1_iyeri7i wrote

In the article, the customer opted in for that function thats how he discovered the vulnerability.

The flaw of the function is that it needed the file to first be uploaded to their server and that the upload was unencrypted.

>Moore had enabled the option manually, which is how the security flaw was eventually discovered. By default, the Eufy app’s camera notifications are text-only and don’t have the same issue, since there’s nothing to upload.

AMatofFact t1_iybn1gt wrote

Yeah, I suspected this. In the app where you see the list of your cameras and their thumbnails, every disconnected camera shows the last thing it 'saw'. I think it's the first frame of the last recording. So with the camera off, it's gotta be stored somewhere.

ApprehensiveNews5728 t1_iybsxr8 wrote

Almost bought a ring until I leaned there was a subscription fee and non-local storage. What other options are there?

[deleted] t1_iyczgrl wrote

It's a Chinese company, surprised?

Puzzleheaded-Cod4909 t1_iyccfgt wrote

If your product connects in any shape way or form to a cloud, your data is not private and belongs to the government. People need to learn that cloud comes with a cost.

zholo t1_iybjaf1 wrote

Don’t know why people are surprised all these super cheap Chinese camera companies are doing shady stuff. There is a reason these cameras are dirt cheap. The consumer is indirectly the product.

−3

Actually-Yo-Momma t1_iyby72f wrote

Wtf you talking about. Eufy is the best of home cams and is the only one without a subscription

TheFriendliestMan t1_iyc9i7i wrote

It's not really shady stuff, it's just pure ignorance of cyber security. Afaik they don't use the data, they are just incomprehensibly unsafe with how they implemented the feature.

wedontlikespaces t1_iyd5ytr wrote

Reading into it. It sounds like they are super incompetent. Even if there is no malicious intent it's still blatant violation of GDPR and whatever the American equivalent is.

RejZoR t1_iycqax2 wrote

Then there is Ring that's not Chinese and are just as terrible if not worse...

[deleted] t1_iybale5 wrote

[deleted]

−9

Nigredo78 t1_iybc3wx wrote

well lets hope you never understand and continue to live blissfully ignorant of any scenario that might require internal camera setups you muppet...

tboggs13 t1_iybjnhj wrote

Definitely no cloud connected cameras on the inside. Just asking for trouble.

Bipolarbearingit t1_iybgohf wrote

Omg, something not related to Elon Musk. Holy cow!

−20