Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

KingDuken t1_j293fk5 wrote

As someone who is a computer engineer for a tech company, I welcome the "Right to Repair" movement. The EU has been the biggest advocate for this. So much so that France has provided an interesting standard called the "French Repairability Index".

I can tell you right now that we, along with our competitors, are currently designing our products to suit these needs for consumer repair.

Perhaps New York should see what the EU is doing as a role model.

sweetplantveal t1_j29ethk wrote

Yeah the limitations, such as new products built and sold in NY and manufacturers being able to bundle parts (an entire motherboard or drive unit or whatever), means the practical impacts of this are going be very limited.

Infuryous t1_j2beui4 wrote

Yep, the entire iPhone without the back cover will be a "repair assembly".

in_u_endo______ t1_j298mnp wrote

Eliminates the bill's original requirement calling for original equipment manufacturers to provide to the public any passwords, security codes or materials to override security features, and allows for original equipment manufacturers may provide assemblies of parts rather than individual components when the risk of improper installation heightens the risk of injury

This is the important part. This completely neutered the bill.

InsertBluescreenHere t1_j2ai1ih wrote

so... if those 2 major things are gone... whats different than now?

lol all they are gonna do is say yea we dont sell just that one control board for your washer - you have to buy the whole front panel and all the boards as an assembly. btw thats a $800 part on your $700 washer.

Nullhitter t1_j2apa1e wrote

This bill went from protecting the consumer to protecting the corporations. This bill essentially gives corporations the rights to do what they've been doing already. Now, it's just part of New York law. Seven years of hard work only for the government to give full protection to corporations instead while pretending it's for the consumers.

InsertBluescreenHere t1_j2cm6ux wrote

well you dont earn a million+ a year when the govt only pays you less than 200K by not bowing to the hand that feeds lol

Bruh_dawg t1_j2dudtv wrote

Just about what happens every single time.

ChuckyRocketson t1_j2aojjh wrote

whats wrong with it is so many people will not look further than the title and say 'awesome the right to repair bill got passed' and give up the fight..

notTumescentPie t1_j2bwuhs wrote

America is a plutocracy. The very rich don't want you to be able to repair things. They want you to buy a new piece of garbage destined for a landfill in 1-3 years.

Bruh_dawg t1_j2dugut wrote

Planned obsolescence. Will be the death of us

HLD_Steed t1_j2arafm wrote

That seems like something that will end up getting litigated when a manufacturer tries to withhold something basic saying it can be "dangerous". It'll be up to the manufacturer to prove the danger.

At the very least it's a stepping stone. Other states are bound to take it further and at somepoint someone is going to sue, we already have suits against John Deere and their bullshit and with automakers attempting to put up pay walls to included features; it's going to me a messy couple of years

londons_explorer t1_j2cq5wo wrote

Any electronics are 'dangerous' because they have sharp edges... Or might be a choking hazard if the screws are swallowed...

EmbarrassedHelp t1_j2brevv wrote

> provide to the public any passwords, security codes or materials to override security features

This seems like it could have been a major security issue if it was included as part of the legislation.

−1

jared555 t1_j2c932n wrote

I imagine it is covering stuff like the "security" features that stop you from replacing a component that is serial number locked, not user data encryption.

atomicdragon136 t1_j2dxnn2 wrote

There’s absolutely no reason you can’t use the camera after replacing it, or lose certain features after replacing a screen. Apple is notorious for this to prevent people from repairing their phones.

Marrsvolta t1_j297ebe wrote

She basically made the bill useless but still wants us to praise her for signing the bill. Vote her out NY.

DGB31988 t1_j2a7iuy wrote

Lol good luck with that… She just got re-elected. Her term starts next month.

cannibal_man t1_j2bdoea wrote

That's 'cause the idiots didn't catch this.

She signs the bill after she gets re-elected, ensuring big tech still has control. Fancy that. 🤨

ChuckyRocketson t1_j2aoqof wrote

well the other option is to vote for .. *checks notes* ... oh dear.

Def_Not_A_Noctor t1_j2b2skb wrote

At some point you have to stop voting for shitty people, even if they wear the same color as you. Enough people start voting 3rd party, it is suddenly viable. Stop with caveman brain loyalty.

−4

ImpressiveHunt810 t1_j2b55es wrote

Until we have ranked choice voting a 3rd party vote is a waste, and just allows "the other team" to win more easily.

Def_Not_A_Noctor t1_j2b8vex wrote

Well I mean, you CAN talk to people on a different team. Maybe find out that people have more goals in common than things that drive them apart. The idea is that people from (speaking in the US) both sides realize they are just being pitted against each other and vote for the best candidate instead.

It's not a waste if enough people do it. Stop thinking in terms of teams.

ImpressiveHunt810 t1_j2bey4v wrote

Who said anything about talking to other people? I talk to plenty of people I disagree with politically, and you're right that most people are closer than it seems. But it's the prisoner's dilemma, the best choice for society, which is everyone voting their conscience and moderate candidates usually winning, is not the optimal choice for an individual deciding who to vote for in a first past the post system. As a progressive leaning person I would never vote for a 3rd party candidate who aligns perfectly with my values, because the real choice is between a Democrat and a Republican, and Democrats more closely align with my values. If I was a libertarian leaning Republican, I would vote for the Republican all day over a libertarian. This is the system we have, and it should be changed, but as it stands you are making the rational choice when you vote for a major party candidate if your goal is to have politicians who more closely align with your values.

Def_Not_A_Noctor t1_j2bl9i5 wrote

That’s just false. You THINK your vote is wasted, but if enough people are convinced to vote away from the party and it’s suddenly a viable option.
There are no candidates of the two major parties that hold any of the values of their constituents. By and large they have been detached from the values of the common person most of their lives. Democrats have touted being the pro-immigrant party for decades, but if you look at the votes, not once have they seriously tried to push through legislation beneficial to immigrants. Republicans tout being pro 2nd amendment, but consistently vote against it. People seem to forget that Reagan was the start of the draconian gun control that California has.

ImpressiveHunt810 t1_j2bn782 wrote

I'm sure it will happen next election, that time for sure we'll convince people to vote 3rd party! You got this!

Def_Not_A_Noctor t1_j2bnizo wrote

That attitude right there makes you part of the problem.

ImpressiveHunt810 t1_j2bnq92 wrote

You have to change the system first. You need to live in reality. Work at the local and state level to get ranked choice voting implemented, but that's the work that has to be done. You're saying what I think is false, but it is objectively true under the CURRENT first past the post system.

Colombia17 t1_j2baspr wrote

Democrats think that they can roll out any candidate in NY and they’ll automatically get elected, they’re about to learn the “fuck around and find out” lesson

SonOfDadOfSam t1_j296315 wrote

>technical issues that could put safety and security at risk, as well as heighten the risk of injury from physical repair projects.

So somehow products sold 6 months from now will be manufactured differently to avoid these issues? Or is it just going to take that long for corporations to figure out how much revenue this will cost them so they can hike their prices to compensate?

InsertBluescreenHere t1_j2aihfz wrote

or change repair manuals to now have like 4 assemblies instead of individual parts. this bill absolutely only helps manufactuers make more money...

BravoCharlie1310 t1_j2a5or0 wrote

Sold out to big tech

moto_panacaku t1_j2bpk16 wrote

Right - like was the whole idea for this to threaten big tech and sell a last minute concession to ensure their campaign funding? All the while being able to publicize a victory for the people that is much less than what it appears to be on the face? Gross.

Greendragons38 t1_j2b4h5x wrote

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

bam55 t1_j2aqaui wrote

Typical government interference in something that would benefit us. Selfish pricks

moto_panacaku t1_j2bp7dl wrote

Gotta get that campaign money to get elected. Can't afford to alienate tech funding. This is the system and we should not be surprised at the results.

ArmsForPeace84 t1_j2cw2ep wrote

Overwhelming bipartisan support in the legislature, like almost completely unanimous. The support of the FTC and the White House. The concern trolling over "safety and security issues" by hardware giants completely dismantled and refuted by a damning FTC report on these claims.

And the crooked-ass governor just steps in and turns a vitally necessary pro-consumer bill into a piece of anti-consumer legislation with amendments and an introduction that may as well have been drafted by Apple's lawyers, and probably was.

Oh, and this Teflon Don at the top is protected by New York's lack of any recall process. Wonderful.

lifeissajoke t1_j295ea4 wrote

> The changes strip out the bill's requirement for > "original equipment manufacturers [or OEMs] to > provide to the public any passwords, security codes > or materials to override security features."

Why do I feel like this is a major security hazard and/or a way to circumvent apples features to prevent law enforcement and other bad actors and allow them to access phones.

Isn’t there a whole multi-million industry built on software sold to LEO/Agencies for cracking and tracking IPhones?

EDIT: Fixed quotes.

InsertBluescreenHere t1_j2aiaq9 wrote

guess who just got a big ol bribe i mean "lobbied" to cut this chunk out? Follow the money lol.

SimplyRedditt t1_j2b7f98 wrote

New York's Governor and weakened in the same sentence really says all you need to know

WuriderX t1_j2bkt29 wrote

Best politics money can buy.

BOOT3D t1_j2b4ppm wrote

Ok now explain it like I'm 5...

DoodMonkey t1_j2ba97s wrote

And they already appealed this version of the law.

danuser8 t1_j2cauoy wrote

I get the phone screen replacement loophole.,, but how will manufacturers manage battery replacement?

pridefulofbeing t1_j2cd25h wrote

Summary:

New York Governor Kathy Hochul has signed a right-to-repair bill into law following changes made to the original bill by the legislature. The changes allow consumers to access parts, tools and documents needed for repair, but exclude enterprise electronics, smartphones circuit boards and products used in businesses. Critics say the changes weaken the law's effectiveness and have watered it down to being functionally useless. The bill's passing is part of a larger movement to promote competition in the tech industry and give consumers the ability to repair their own devices.

strywever t1_j2eh1eu wrote

Fucking corporatist politicians.

riffraffbri t1_j2944hq wrote

Yeah, it's called a compromise. I'm sure Apple and Google have been pressuring the legislators not to sign this bill. That's why we need election reform.

−7