Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

EyeLikeTheStonk t1_j1464fr wrote

seat belt pretensioner have a small explosive charge that produce hot exhaust gases. If the hot gases are too close to a flammable item, there is a small risk that the item could catch fire.

poropog t1_j14t6eu wrote

Wow, how many anti-EV trolls won't bother to read past the headline before running with this?

guynamedjames t1_j152yjb wrote

All of them? Those idiots don't care about facts, just narrative

MechaSkippy t1_j167gic wrote

It this was a Tesla, I'm pretty sure people would have screamed this in my face as I walked down the street.

Wants-NotNeeds t1_j180psr wrote

And WHO framed the headline knowing good and well battery fires are on the forefront of people’s minds when they read the headline

74orangebeetle t1_j14e3ji wrote

TIL, I was pretty confused at first when I saw them talking about exhaust gas. Had no idea seatbelt pretensioners worked like this.

Jeramus t1_j15tw93 wrote

Airbags use explosives as well. I thought my car was on fire for a second after an accident until I realized it was just smoke from the airbag.

[deleted] t1_j1617oa wrote

[deleted]

74orangebeetle t1_j16zweh wrote

I am aware of that. I was more surprised by them being in an EV (you know without the presence of a battery fire or something)

Jeramus t1_j15to34 wrote

I have a Bolt in the recall. The notice said the remedy is to put foil around the seat belt pretensioner. I guess that will stop the gas/sparks from reaching the carpet.

Ok-Welder-4816 t1_j163t16 wrote

Ahh, I was wondering why in newer cars you don't get that annoying locking-up of the seatbelt when you pull it out.

I guess the explosive type is faster, smaller, and cheaper.

Ok-Welder-4816 t1_j163a82 wrote

In the middle of a car crash? Probably not the biggest worry, tbh.

Badfickle t1_j148h2x wrote

At least its not the batteries again.

−1

chrisdh79 OP t1_j13zx9n wrote

General Motors said Tuesday it is recalling 140,000 Chevrolet Bolt EVs in North America because the carpet could catch fire after a crash where a front seat belt pretensioner deploys.

The U.S. automaker said the recall covers various 2017 through 2023 model year Chevrolet Bolt EV vehicles due to rare instances of front seatbelt pretensioner exhaust gases coming in contact with floor carpeting fibers, after a vehicle crash, which could cause a fire.

About 120,000 U.S. vehicles and 20,000 Canadian vehicles are impacted by the recall.

sirbruce t1_j14b33x wrote

It’s not Tesla so this story will be buried in a few hours.

iLogicFFA t1_j15j8ti wrote

And it’s an actual recall and not just a cloud software patch like most tesla recalls in the news. But we will get downvoted for this

Relevant_Desk_6891 t1_j166shj wrote

Tesla wouldn't have recalled it at all. They would've ignored it, fired whoever brought up the issues, and hoped that no one died because of it.

You do realize you're talking about the company alpha-testing their self-driving tech in production (and killing people while doing it)?

−3

Bensemus t1_j16fetx wrote

Many of Tesla’s recalls were voluntary and already fix by the time the recall was announced. Stop making stuff up.

SammyGReddit t1_j16tbcy wrote

They’ll be running this on Fox News for a month

SouthernUpstate t1_j174e9o wrote

Reminder that electric cars aren’t here to save the planet, they’re here to save the car industry. Articles like this just go to show they’re hardly doing either. Public transit pleaseee

somethots t1_j141ff3 wrote

i almost bought one of these 3 years ago but backed out because i googled and read about battery issues while i was waiting to sign, glad i waited

a fun car shouldnt be a pain in the ass and your pocket book to maintain

−7

zakats t1_j142fw9 wrote

You could have gotten a fair bit of use out of the car then gotten a free battery replacement if you'd bought one. Imo, it's one or the best buys for an ev- the EUV looks better tho, imo.

CrocodilePHD t1_j14cq0b wrote

This is basically what I did. Bought one, kept it for about 8 months then had it bought back at the same price.

LazyAnonBoner t1_j14gq6m wrote

I guess you don’t park in public garages. I swear every one I drive into says “No Bolts allowed”

−16

Yggdrasilcrann t1_j14ocjw wrote

Where do you live?

guynamedjames t1_j1533o7 wrote

Imagination land

zakats t1_j16d3wk wrote

Earlier poster here: Nah, it's a actually a real thing, it's just not relevant anymore since the major recall GM had a while back and the signs remain as a vestigial thing.

This is what I meant earlier when I said 'free battery replacement', since the previous poster had referenced battery issues. I was suggesting that they could've put a bunch of miles on the original battery and gotten a new one since a recall was (probably) already in the pipeline by the time OP was shopping.

SeaworthinessLeft88 t1_j144ccg wrote

The slow DCFC kind of stinks, but otherwise it’s a great car for the price. I thought about one myself instead of opting for an ioniq 5 (due to both DCFC capability and because I could buy one right off the lot).

happyscrappy t1_j148jt8 wrote

IONIQ 5 is a better car.

Amazed you could get one off the lot. That's great news. So hard to find an EV actually for sale nowadays.

Pherllerp t1_j14csv3 wrote

Ioniq 5 is a better car but it costs twice as much minimum.

SeaworthinessLeft88 t1_j149d52 wrote

Well, it’s just the base trim with RWD. My understanding is that the AWDs with the higher trim package are the ones that are hard to find right now. They actually had another RWD SE on the lot too!

But yeah, I agree that it’s a better car. Just a little pricier and with no federal tax credit.

happyscrappy t1_j14ajxa wrote

Oh, it's a lot pricier now that that the 2023 Bolt is $26,600. It's almost twice the price.

I didn't know the AWDs were more in demand. I like AWD, but it bums me out to give up the range. 300 miles (or 500km) is kind of a magic number to me.

24moop t1_j14d4d0 wrote

It depends where you live. Winter conditions in my neck of the woods make AWD a necessity

alaninsitges t1_j154jsi wrote

I'd be buying an EUV right now if they sold it in my country, just for the extra space and range. Got a ten-year-old Volt that's made me a believer in GM's EVs.

somethots t1_j144wjp wrote

they didnt say anything about battery replacements and I didnt feel like haggling I had been looking at cars too long that day

but yeah, it was fun to drive

zakats t1_j16ccxs wrote

I'm referring to the resultant battery recall for the battery issue you referenced.

happyscrappy t1_j147vzn wrote

> a fun car shouldnt be a pain in the ass and your pocket book to maintain

What are you talking about? What "maintenance"?

74orangebeetle t1_j14drv9 wrote

>shouldnt be a pain in the ass and your pocket book to maintain

As a two time Chevy owner, that's a Chevy thing....that's what's frustrating. I'd love a Chevy Bolt but don't want to deal with Chevy dealerships and Chevy issues. Sadly, all of the competing cars seem to be a lot more expensive.

Jeramus t1_j15u0dv wrote

It isn't costing Bolt owners anything. Recalls are covered by Chevy.

huntsvillekan t1_j16vgl0 wrote

That’s too bad - we bought our Bolt anyway, have had over 50K miles of zippy, efficient driving. Then we’re going to get a free new battery!

raymate t1_j143gxg wrote

So that must be almost all of them. It’s sad times ahead I don’t want a Li-po battery sitting on my driveway. Worse still sitting in my garage.

Don’t get me wrong I like this car I just don’t want it within 100 feet of my house.

−23

SeaworthinessLeft88 t1_j1450ov wrote

The recall was related to seatbelt pretensioner exhaust during an accident, so sort of irrelevant to concerns about the car sitting in/near your house.

feuerwehrmann t1_j145ymd wrote

And seat belt pretensioners are in every car that has airbags. I guess either the carpet goes up high on the b post or the tensioner sits low

happyscrappy t1_j148bu8 wrote

The carpet doesn't come up the B pillar at all. So the pretensioner must be low.

Jeramus t1_j15u63h wrote

Why read when they can just post FUD?

prophet001 t1_j146sxw wrote

Pretty sure nothing they said tied their concerns about the battery to this particular issue. There are all sorts of valid reasons to not want a gigantic lithium battery in your house.

−6

SeaworthinessLeft88 t1_j14a91b wrote

The recall and topic of the post have nothing to do with the battery, though. It’s just that OP immediately saw “Bolt” and “fire risk” and likely immediately thought it was a battery issue.

And EVs have less fires per vehicles sold than both pure ICE and HEVs. The fires are typically related to damage (either collision or occasional corrosive water damage with Tesla) or fast charging, neither of which is really a concern in a driveway or garage.

So those points aside, what valid reasons are there to not want an EV within 100 feet of your house that don’t already exist with hybrids or pure ICE vehicles?

prophet001 t1_j14bfy7 wrote

> Pretty sure nothing they said tied their concerns about the battery to this particular issue.

>The recall and topic of the post have nothing to do with the battery, though.

Broken record much?

−5

Jeramus t1_j15ualz wrote

I read the recall notice because I have a Bolt. You are wrong, it's just about the pretensioner and the carpet.

prophet001 t1_j15up1g wrote

You might oughtta go back and re-read this comment chain because you've failed to comprehend it.

−2

guynamedjames t1_j153cx0 wrote

"I don't want a lithium ion battery in my driveway or garage so I keep 20 gallons of gasoline in there instead!"

Bigbadmayo t1_j163s3q wrote

The cars don’t have lipos

raymate t1_j1687dr wrote

They sure do. They use Lithium-ion type cells

It can be lithium polymer or lithium iron phosphate but they are all classed as Lithium-ion

Lipo, lip, li-poly are the same type, Some just use different chemistry but are classed as lithium-ion

They have super high energy density and have great weight to power ratio compared to some older battery technology. This is why EVs use them.

Put 20-30 lead acid batteries in a EV and see how fast that can move.

They are also if not treated right or physically damaged can have an catastrophic thermal runaway. You do not want to be near one of it goes up. They are getting safer and have many safety features built in but EV batteries are not much different from the one in your phone or laptop.

Why do you think the emergency services have special training to deal with a EV it’s not like a normal car fire

−3

Carpetron t1_j176mzk wrote

I like how you keep posting your anti-ev rants when this recall was for the seatbelt pretensioners 😂 f'n classic