Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

LigerXT5 t1_j5pmvcs wrote

So they up the rate for non-ad tiers, while the lower has ads. Now they are making the ads more aggressive essentially, just to make more money off the people who can't afford the more expensive tier(s), and in turn making the low income people possibly poorer due to all the tempting and manipulating ads.

For a time when my 2yo and I would watch youtube together, she'd occasionally get upset when a random add intruded mid way through a video. Paramount has this down for the most part, a few shows or select episodes the ads would cut a second or two too early, before the scene goes dark, then when the ad would finish, the show would return then fade to black, then to another scene. lol

The ad feeding method that annoys me the most, barely more than a half to a dozen ads in a 20-30 min episode, is fast forwarding to a point and feed another chunk of ads. In more detail... you load up an episode you wanted 2/3 of the way through yesterday. You watch the first ad or three, then skip ahead to where you left off (not all streaming services remember where you left off...), then boom, another slap of ads to watch, and you hadn't been 30seconds since the last set of ads.

Apparently advertisers are pushing towards the requirement you need to stare at the screen for the ad to play, then pause when you look away. With word going around the same will happen if the volume is muted are set too low.

Do you want piracy? This is how you get piracy. Do better with how you display and promote ads, not just Disney, but all services.

LeBoulu777 OP t1_j5povb5 wrote

> make more money

Capitalism in a nutshell sadly.

Kurotan t1_j5qf8n2 wrote

I'm not even going to bother with piracy. I just won't watch their shows. I stick to my old dvd box sets and stuff.

LigerXT5 t1_j5qgj59 wrote

Somewhat related... Like VCRs and those before it (Capacitance Electronic Disc), I suspect DVD/BlueRay may phase out in years time, and not likely anything physical will replace it.

If anything does replace Disc media, I'm thinking something like Flashdrives will replace them. More durable, can be setup as Read Only (no need for a battery inside), and varying sizes of storage for the needs. No physical limited size standards to worry about (CDs, DVDs, HD-DVD, BlueRay).

Kurotan t1_j5qgwxa wrote

Oh, I fully expect Blu ray to be the last physical media. But I can still but dvd's and blurays in used shops. I just won't be buying new shows I didn't watch. I'll be buying the old shows I loved before they riddled them with ads and made us pirate them. I will ignore all new and current media if they annoy me enough. New TV isn't as good as 99's early 2000s anyways.

Orbital666 t1_j5prgn1 wrote

“We’re slowly going to force you to watch ads whether you like it or not!”

six months later:

STREAMING SERVICES IN TROUBLE, MASS USER EXODUS, IS PIRACY TO BLAME?

HappyThumb55555 t1_j5rxemt wrote

Build up your plex for when all other options are intolerable.