Submitted by your_mind_aches t3_11dy3ho in television

I remember anecdotes of the early episodes not having an applause sign but the audience breaking out in chants of "Stephen Stephen Stephen!" just like on The Colbert Report despite not being a character like on there.

But then when Chris Licht (currently at CNN) was hired as showrunner in 2016 to revamp the show, it appears he got the applause sign installed.

Ever since then, applause seems to come on for many jokes, more low-key ones, ones that are meant to be quick, or aren't that funny.

Pre covid, he would often joke "big fans of X" here at applause for jokes where he simply mentions the name of a politician or strange group or item.

But especially since returning to the Ed Sullivan Theatre after lockdown, Stephen has seemingly grown increasingly frustrated with the applause sign or whoever is operating it, going "really?!" at least once or twice every time, and looking over at Louis Cato in mock disbelief at the audience.

Please tell me I'm not the only person who has noticed this. It seems as if there is some sort of lack of communication between the writers' room and the actual stage crew at the very least.

Comments