Submitted by meatball77 t3_1278xz4 in television

I really recommend this series. It's an anthology of African stories that place ancient folktales in different modern/futuristic and sometimes dystopian settings.

All the stories are in their original language so some are in English and others are in small local languages I've never heard of.

This is obviously a give local filmmakers an opportunity project, however, it was very well done and I encourage others to try a story or two The stories are varied and impactful (and about 30 minutes each). I'm sure there was nuance that I missed because I wasn't familiar with any of the original tales but the stories were enjoyable regardless.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BalsamicBasil t1_jed62vp wrote

Whoaaaa...this is a thing on Netflix?!?!? So many hidden indie gems on Netflix! I will definitely check it out, thank you for the recommendation!

meatball77 OP t1_jed6s6f wrote

Came out this week. I just finished the fourth story (which I'm not sure if I understand, I may need to do some research but I'm fascinated by the visuals). The third story is a masterpiece in simple storytelling on domestic violence that makes a huge impact.

Radulno t1_jeetcno wrote

If it's produced by Netflix (?), not sure it can be called indie. They are great at producing local content everywhere though. IMO that's actually one of their biggest strengths and a huge part of why the other services don't really contest them, they are way better implemented in most international markets because they also got local content. Amazon also has quite a lot (here in France at least).

Will definitively add that to my list, sounds very interesting

n10w4 t1_jeh3h0c wrote

Yeah I do feel like discovery is hard with netflix/

AmbroseKalifornia t1_jedxxbt wrote

If you're interested in this, check out Tinga Tinga tales, a colorful, beautiful children's cartoon about African fables. Very pretty show, with terrific voice acting. Mainly for kids but it's worth a look. I especially liked the Tortoise one!:

https://youtu.be/wv0ELI7l78Q

AltanSol t1_jee3pzg wrote

Now see, that's more like it. They're out here trying to sell me the reimagining right off the bat, and I haven't even heard it regularly-imagined. How's a guy expected to appreciate subtle thematic parallels and dramatic irony under these conditions?

meatball77 OP t1_jefzjss wrote

One of the episodes just flew over my head because I didn't understand what was going on. But, it was still beautifully filmed.

Laylowski t1_jedc0h0 wrote

Thanks for the heads-up, did not know about this. It seems very interesting.

eekamuse t1_jeesivf wrote

Animated? And thanks for promoting lesser known shows. Sounds great.

Doc_coletti t1_jeeu1wv wrote

Damn this sounds cool. Thanks so much for posting this. The banjo player part of me can’t wait to watch some west African folk tales

HostileApostle17 t1_jee8g7t wrote

Thanks, I never heard of this but it sounds interesting.

n10w4 t1_jeh3fep wrote

thanks, will check it out!