Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

colonel_pastry t1_jeesofl wrote

I loved southland. I think I’ll give this one a go tonight based on that comparison. Thanks.

sinkwiththeship t1_jef6hdy wrote

Being a cop show from CBS, I have a feeling that it's just going to be unapologetic copaganda. I'm sure it'll try to present it from a "neutral" stance with the "bad" cops getting some pushback, but nothing substantial. Like when the grandfather from Blue Bloods said he misses when cops could give the uppity hoodlums wood shampoos and every just went "oh grandpa, that's naughty."

There's no actual substantial discussion, they just try to do the bare minimum of saying "look, we're doing the right thing" even though they're not.

quat1e t1_jefcaax wrote

I agree with you. I think East New York is likely to be a copaganda show. It's on CBS, which is a major network that has a history of producing shows that glorify the police. And the show's creator, William M. Finkelstein, is also the creator of Blue Bloods, which is another show that has been criticized for its portrayal of the police.

I think it's important to be critical of shows like East New York. These shows can have a real impact on how people view the police. If people see the police portrayed as always being right and justified, it can make it more difficult for them to hold the police accountable when they make mistakes.

I think it's important to have shows that explore the complexities of the police and the criminal justice system. Shows that show the good and the bad, and that don't just whitewash the police. I hope that one day we'll see more shows like that.

sweetpeapickle t1_jefyd2c wrote

It's also fictional like the rest of them. People need to make up their minds, do they want documentaries or fictional entertainment. Because you can't have both. And what people want to watch as entertainment are these shows. Doesn't mean the majority of people think, oh their painting the cops as good-so in real life they're all good. The majority of shows, not just cop shows, have the characters doing all sorts of stuff that is not true to reality. Do people really want to watch cops that mirror reality....because we have news for that?

−1

sweetpeapickle t1_jefxqvp wrote

Lol, I get it. But you're kind of missing the other parts on BB when they talk about how different it was when Grandpa was in it, to when Frank was & is, to now. They've said numerous times, there's reasons it needed to be changed from when grandpa was in it. Can't really change how it was, nor how an 80 year old man did it.

sweetpeapickle t1_jefx8ms wrote

I liked it from the start. Right mix of drama with that slight bit of humor Captain Yenko....