Submitted by sir-ud t3_ywzfx0 in television

Both the series have case a week format and based on solving cases by using deduction . However which among these have more interesting and logical cases and overall more believable with good storylines

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

montanoj88 t1_iwm1ipi wrote

Love both shows. Gotta give the edge to Elementary because it didn't have the lead stars become romantic partners

im_a_dick_head t1_iwm2sm4 wrote

So the entire show had no feelings at all between them?

AgentElman t1_iwm5cj7 wrote

They become friends, nothing more.

She does date his brother Mycroft briefly

im_a_dick_head t1_iwmgnln wrote

That's tough

FunWelcome t1_iwnjfan wrote

I feel like people are down playing it. It's never a will they or wont they, but there clearly is a thing between them. It comes up the 2nd before the last. It's also enough to the point people made fan video about it.

https://youtu.be/00hkjmm2KRI

AgentElman t1_iwm69lj wrote

They are both procedurals where the guilty party is a character introduced about 8 minutes in without being a suspect and their motive suddenly appears with 8 minutes left in the show.

I prefer Elementary (and am literally rewatching it right now), but that is for how the case unfolds. It has a lot of detective work and drudgery discussed (they don't show hours of looking through files but they comment on it, they show the effort it takes).

The Mentalist is more of him getting hunches then detective work. It is just less believable.

But the main reason I stopped watching Mentalist was that it stopped being a case of the week and had too many episodes about Red John a serial killer who could do anything and had a cult following and was just a silly plot that dragged out for years.

If you want a case of the week show with logical cases watch Death in Paradise. The cases are often locked room or impossible murders that they have to figure out how they were done and who did it - but the clues and how it happened all work. And Death in Paradise always has them list the suspects and the killer is one of the suspects. It makes sense, it isn't just a surprise reveal.

FunWelcome t1_iwnjjds wrote

The glaring problem with Death in Paradise is that it can't keep cast.

AgentElman t1_iwnrsa6 wrote

It is a problem. I like the Irish detective and that cast the best. They really vary in entertainment.

anasui1 t1_iwmwg48 wrote

Elementary, no match for me. Besides the much more interesting cases and detective work, its acting is what sets him apart from The Mentalist in a major way. Baker is an amazing actor but Jonny Lee Miller's work on Sherlock Holmes is on another level, honestly some of the best tv acting I've seen. Plus, it's often very funny and got some real good twists on Sherlock's lore

GeekdomCentral t1_iwov9kz wrote

I’ve never seen Mentalist so I can’t comment on it, but I have to agree about Miller as Sherlock. He’s just so fucking good in the series

venm081199 t1_iwm50rl wrote

I love The Mentalist. I'm going to watch Elementary after I finish Cold Case

[deleted] t1_iwm5m4h wrote

I liked The Mentalist, but Elementary had (from what I remember) way better case solving than Mentalist.

buttymuncher t1_iwp1pk2 wrote

Elementary wins hands down, currently on my second watch of all seasons and it's consistently great, couldn't get back into Mentalist.