Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Flynn58 t1_iwtftk5 wrote

None of those shows put HBO or Netflix on the map. HBO was put on the map by Oz and The Wire, and Netflix was put on the map by House of Cards and Orange is the New Black. HBO and Netflix were already household names for premier television by the time Game of Thrones and Stranger Things came out, let alone Euphoria and Dahmer.

−2

GenericAustin t1_iwtgaru wrote

Game of Thrones is another level of popularity compared to the wire, and Stranger Things is another level of popularity compared to House of Cards or Orange is the New Black. That is what Amazon was looking for, the next Game of Thrones

GarlVinland4Astrea t1_iwv5az8 wrote

If you think HBO wasn’t a massively well known household name years before GoT existed you are out of your mind. Also ROP was the biggest Amazon show ever

GenericAustin t1_iwv9emd wrote

That is not what I said, I said Game of Thrones is way more popular than all their other shows, I didn't say those other shows weren't popular.

GarlVinland4Astrea t1_iwvaqkp wrote

Only the last two seasons were getting better ratings than peak Sopranos. That’s the thing. It went on longer so it had more years to build and it didn’t really become their most popular show until everyone started disliking it

−1

NaRaGaMo t1_iwy9ed8 wrote

>Also ROP was the biggest Amazon show ever

Yes when you are competing against Paper girls, I know what you did last summer, Terminal List etc with 500mill+ budget you tend to become no.1

−1

Crytash t1_iwtxl6f wrote

Sopranos was way bigger than the wire and in terms of influence i would argue Sex and the city was bigger too (it basically speadheaded several tropes that became overused over time), good of you to remember Oz though.

Corteaux81 t1_iwu7wdr wrote

Wire only exploded in fame later on. It is, IMO, the best show ever made - but to say it was hugely popular would be utterly false.

retropieproblems t1_iwuhd6j wrote

It’s a great show but at this point I’d say the Wire is overrated. People hear it’s the best show of all time and just regurgitate it to sound interesting since it’s not that widely known of a show (outside of Reddit). It was the “cool” answer to best show of all time 10 years ago, but better shows have been made since.

Corteaux81 t1_iwv354o wrote

Not in my opinion. I'm as big as ASOIAF fan as you'll ever meet, and the first four seasons were almost perfect television - but The Wire still stood just above that to me.

The Wire still #1 for me.

Lil_Mcgee t1_iwvlnp6 wrote

I wouldn't say it's overrated. Whether it's the greatest of all time is always gonna be a matter of subjective opinion but it's definitely in the running, there'd have to be many more excellent shows for it to not even be a contender.

I can't think of another show that is as well written whilst also having so many moving parts. It's an incredibly dense show with a vast interconnecting web of characters that touches on a fuck load of relevant societal themes and tells dozens of compelling human stories whilst doing so. That's not the only measure of quality but it's an area where it really does have other shows beat in my opinion.

Radulno t1_iwu66ok wrote

Also, Amazon is already on the map as being one of the biggest companies and website on the planet lol. People know about Amazon and Prime more than any show can do it.

Thongs0ng t1_iwtgw9i wrote

I was using those shows as rough examples to make my point, not a point by point run down of every culturally relevant show both services have put out lol.

Plus I’m talking about shows that entered the cultural zeitgeist, not necessarily just critically acclaimed shows.