Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ColdCruise t1_ivkqiaw wrote

Awesome. I wish Paramount+ and Hulu did this too.

redavid t1_ivks5m1 wrote

Paramount+ does this with their Premium plan

Parkje04 t1_ivl1r5n wrote

Just wait until NBC and it’s affiliates are pulled from YouTube TV and the other streaming options. That’s where this is heading.

Flan_man69 t1_ivne21q wrote

Then you buy an antenna

Parkje04 t1_iwrbf5m wrote

Sure. But not for the many NBC-owned channels (SYFY, NBC Sports networks, CNBC, MSNBC, etc).

I’m not saying it’s GOING to happen. But I can see it happening, and if it does, OTA will only be a partial solution.

comped t1_ivl3s7f wrote

You're next Disney+. Then we only need Fox to do so through Tubi (affiliate newscasts don't count)...

Barbaricliberal t1_ivl5wnc wrote

Fox would be tough since Disney technically doesn't own the Fox channel.

Legally, Disney can only own one of the major four basic channels. Hence since they own ABC, they couldn't acquire Fox itself. So Fox was spun out into a seperate company (along with Fox News and Fox Business) while Disney acquired all of Fox's original IP and such (like The Simpsons, Family Guy, etc).

I wouldn't be surprised if they offer live streaming of ABC via Hulu or something though.

comped t1_ivl6ej2 wrote

I'm aware - that's why I mentioned Fox separately.

chilango2 t1_ivlxcdt wrote

Neat. I like that a lot.

Peacock quietly and affordably gives my household a lot of amusement. Hate to shill for Comcast, but it's a good service.

Rynox2000 t1_ivky397 wrote

I'm not a fan of a premium subs in top of standard subs.

dantemanjones t1_ivl060l wrote

This isn't a new premium sub. It's their standard no-ad plan. The ad-included plan doesn't include the OTA broadcast (which has ads, of course...).

MadeByTango t1_ivlsf05 wrote

So when you pay for the ad free version they give you the channel with ads? All this does is give them an excuse to keep showing it first with ads, then only “ad free” once the show has aired. Meaning the first viewers will still always have to see advertising no matter which version of the service they own.

This is the wrong direction. They need to be announcing that shows will be available on the app ad free the moment they start airing on the channel if its included as part of the “ad free” tier.

To compare, imagine if HBO or Netflix made their “PREMIUM Plus” subscribers wait a day to watch without ads. That’s what Peacock’s “ad free” tier is offering us. Pay more to wait for the ad free version.

SuddenlyThirsty t1_ivomu5y wrote

So their new plan is to get people to pay to see a channel they can get for free over the air? Also many of those stations already have a livestream option

BreezyBill t1_ivozyfw wrote

Literally no one is celebrating this news like the person in the picture.

LiveFromNewYork95 t1_ivmic3s wrote

Pretty cool but I'm going down with the cable ship. This is a cool feature and I hope more streamers doing it (with all of their cable stations) and it revitalizes the "Live watch" of shows. But I like to channel surf, the other night one of my sports teams was exclusively on ESPN+ and TNF was on Amazon Prime and the closing of one app to wait for another app to open, way too much down time between entertainment.