Submitted by ET__ t3_zwj8dm in television

One episode left in S2. The first season was good, I’d give it a B. No real standout performances per se, but the story and group dynamic are really great.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

iamamuttonhead t1_j1v0kth wrote

"no real standout performance per se"??? Gary Oldman was and is brilliant in this.

Interesting that you like S2 more than S1. S1 was very, very close to the book while S2 has tweaked the story a bit more for television.

le_fromage_puant t1_j1zbkxf wrote

The original Slow Horses book was a very slow read for me (accidental pun) but by the end I realized it works to establish all the main characters and the overall atmosphere of Slough House vs The Park. I fell in love with the characters and have read all the books.

S1 was great and I love the casting.

ArchDucky t1_j1uyi8b wrote

Season 2 is some high quality dope shit. Way better than Season 1. Cannot wait for Season 3.

GSXR-1100 t1_j1zbyge wrote

And season 4! It’s been renewed for 2 further seasons, I just read today.

anasui1 t1_j1vpp54 wrote

serie is basically River Cartwright's Benny Hill Hour and I am the happiest for that. Poor guy

SnooDingos316 t1_j1w1rfr wrote

I really like Olivia cooke character in the first season. >!I was wondering if she also died in the book too? Well even in the series it was not clear. I thought she left because she went to film house of the dragon. The show did not even mentioned anything about her in S2. A bit disappointing as I really liked her in S1.!<

So I do not mind book spoilers if anyone wants to share.

dagon14 t1_j1wbsq0 wrote

If you really want to know (major spoilers obviously): >!River thinks about her from time to time and at one point gets a mysterious silent phone call he thinks is from her, but she doesn't actually show up again until book 7. So assuming the show follows the books, it's gonna be awhile. Though on the bright side, maybe Cooke will be done with House of the Dragon by then and she'll be free to return.!<

Werewomble t1_j1y01nw wrote

Tavernor said she was gone.

Interesting choice of words.

Syd never existed.

I don't even know your real naaaame. Straaange straaange gaaame.

blargerer t1_j1uxic4 wrote

There is a glaring plot hole that I don't see a possible resolution for, but they do still have 1 episode left.

The_Milk_man t1_j1v5o1h wrote

What's the glaring plot hole you see?

blargerer t1_j1v7o83 wrote

Why was River left alive.

xfinityhomeboy t1_j1vceol wrote

Left alive, told the entire plan of the sleeper agent, plenty of leeway in the rope. He’s definitely a pawn and she’s flying that plane somewhere else

ET__ OP t1_j1wdo8a wrote

Yea. I haven’t read the books but there is no way river got all that correct. This doesn’t seem like a show with clean happy endings

Jay_Sondr t1_j1yp813 wrote

Apparently Dead Lions is an extremely complicated novel.

Also apparently, the first two episodes covered about half the book. People over at r/SlowHorses are shocked at how fast they're going through the material and how they're managed to do it/untangle it.

blargerer t1_j1vja91 wrote

I think that explanation also fails(for me). They had to have some original plan before he showed up. Counting on him showing up would be insane. Changing their plan at the last minute to one where they know incorrect information instead of wrong information just seems overly risky.

Lambchops_Legion t1_j1wqlxt wrote

The Estonian knew Slough House was following him the entire time (since he used the taxi driver. Remember, when River came down from the plane joyride his phone had been gone through, he just assumed it was the dad.) so maybe the exact moment wasn’t designed to be at that point, but it was always a trap for him at some point imo.

The_Milk_man t1_j1v7xfw wrote

Yeah, considering their end game, that was a suspect choice

immaownyou t1_j1vh4yz wrote

There's an entire episode left, it's definitely going to be explained lol

blargerer t1_j1vizzd wrote

In my first comment I literally said that they have an episode left, I just can't imagine how they will explain it in a way that satisfies me. They are presumably better writer than I am though, so hopefully I'm proven wrong.

stringrandom t1_j1x7zeo wrote

Having just finished Dead Lions, the book S2 is based on, it’s >!going to be really obvious in the finale why they left him alive.!<

Also, I wish they had gone more in line with the book then River being an idiot and getting taken out.

GDawnHackSign t1_j1w3bjo wrote

One could imagine that this is part of the baddies plan. It seems River is so green that he has played right into it.

TheFemale72 t1_j20rp2b wrote

I think his grandfather is the cicada. Just a theory, but I keep wondering why he seems “protected “

Cyyyyk t1_j1viwki wrote

Totally agree.... season 2 is what I was hoping season 1 would be.

AutoModerator t1_j1uwnf3 wrote

The 2022 Edition of the r/television Favorite Shows Survey is now open!

You may vote by clicking here.

If you have any questions or concerns, please comment here.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

ashinaclan123 t1_j1wufv1 wrote

Just curious can I start with s2 without watching s1? I just don’t really feel like waiting through a whole season.

HotelFoxtrot87 t1_j1xqs2s wrote

FWIW, a season is only 6 episodes long and they are usually under an hour each and they go by pretty quickly.

Werewomble t1_j1y08jq wrote

If you want to not know any of the characters and enjoy it less, sure :)

No one is stopping you slamming your hand in the door either.

stringrandom t1_j1x89rm wrote

I think so. You’ll miss out on the character and background exposition that happens in S1, but you should be able to pick things up with much issue.

cha614 t1_j1vwa73 wrote

Unfortunately season one is in fact a slow horse. To the glue factory!

−5