Submitted by ypash t3_1172wpn in tifu

OK so this one is a bit grim so apologies in advance.

I went halves with one of my housemates on a two pack of toothbrushes when we moved into our new houseshare. I asked which one she wanted and she said "the mauve one". Okay cool, no problem.

A few months goes by, and I notice how my toothbrush, the kinda purpley pinky one, was obviously well used, and her toothbrush, the mauve, or green one, looked pretty much new.

I casually mentioned this to her today when something came up about buying toothpaste.. Needless to say we are now both relentlessly gargling mouthwash all day. I have absolutely no idea why I thought mauve meant green, or like.. pale green, which is what the toothbrush is, but here we are.

TL;DR Thought mauve meant green and shared the same toothbrush with a housemate for several months.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Solid_Look9293 t1_j99v6ug wrote

Might as well kiss and make up.. also, buy new toothbrushes

kwilks67 t1_j99vfww wrote

I assume you were thinking of chartreuse, which is a green color with a similarly unusual French name.

Racer20 t1_j9cafm5 wrote

Chartreuse sounds like it should be purpley and mauve sounds like it should be greenish.

Whane17 t1_j9a5h2d wrote

I know mauve, I did not know chartreuse thank you.

G0ldenEye5 t1_j9a6m1d wrote

This is exactly why I stick with just "purple" or "green"

MisteriosM t1_j9apso1 wrote

My dentist told me last time that toothbrush should only be used for up to two months before beeing replaced.

KRed75 t1_j9caqh1 wrote

We go to the dentist every 6 months and the dentist always gives us brand new toothbrushes. My wife and kids leave their little bag from the dentist in the car or on the counter for months. I eventually pick them up and put them in the drawer near my sink. There must be 50 tooth brushes in there. I've never seen my wife buy new ones and non of them have ever asked for a new toothbrush even though, every time I go in that drawer, I mention to them that they need to be swapping out their toothbrushes and to get on from the drawer.

Of course, they have my teeth and mouth chemistry so they've never had a cavity even though they probably rarely brush their teeth. My wife skips a day brushing and she gets a cavity.

J-IP t1_j9ausf6 wrote

In the future just go with rgb values or hex.

kmz57 t1_j9ah009 wrote

So what color is Mauve?

DuePomegranate t1_j9dj0qu wrote

Is this a joke? Cos mauve is pretty much exactly the background color of your Reddit avatar.

kmz57 t1_ja0dng4 wrote

Sorry it was not a joke. I guess If its not in the primary colors, I'm clueless. I mean is it violet or purple lol. I envy alot of people that have color sense

DuePomegranate t1_ja0qjxb wrote

Hey, you changed your avatar and it is no longer mauve.

kmz57 t1_ja374vm wrote

Yeah gotta edit it with some mauve lol

kmz57 t1_ja37sd1 wrote

All foxed, think thats msuve

AcrobaticSource3 t1_j9az9d9 wrote

In your opinion, between you and your housemate, which one of you got the worst end of sharing a toothbrush?

iamamuttonhead t1_j9al0x9 wrote

Well, I make that mistake all the time. In fact, when you wrote "mauve" I thought "green".

rpbm t1_j9cbkgk wrote

This is one of few circumstances where my husbands insistence that the only colors are primary and secondary colors would be helpful. He’d have said there’s no such thing as mauve, and I’d have told him to use the green one.

Niccolo91 t1_j9c5bnq wrote

Weird that one of you didn’t notice toothbrush looked damp compared to other one? I almost used my wife’s on accident once but toothbrush was already wet so I knew it was recently used.

ShinyBlueThing t1_j9axj32 wrote

I think this happens because of words sounding similar: charteuse (yellow green) sounds like puce (dusty pinky red) which looks a lot like mauve (dusty purply pink). Then the brain decides that all three are green, because the first word in the chain of words & meanings dominates.

KRed75 t1_j9cd27p wrote

I learned this when I was a kid and Dame Edna was on TV talking about her Mauve hair. Dame Edna is a character played by comedian Barry Humphries. He's almost 90 now and retired from performing back in 2012. Probably not an act you'd have seen if you're younger.

Spoonyjonson t1_j9czkru wrote

If it makes you feel any better I thought ochre was green.

AliasElla t1_j9gm8bz wrote

It sounds like ogre so it kinda makes sense