Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Mitthrawnuruo t1_j86f7b7 wrote

I’ve been on Ryan air. The list isn’t nearly restrictive enough.

Loki-L t1_j86tmjv wrote

Ryan Air flights don't have fatal crashes, but if you are on one for long enough you might start to wish they did.

CulturedClub t1_j86o5sg wrote

At one time Ryanair had the newest fleet of planes in the world.

You may well not like their pricing structure (does anyone?) but they're a very safe airline.

rinfodiv t1_j87g7q5 wrote

Lion Air in Indonesia crashed a 737-800 in April 2013 that was delivered in Feb 2013.

New doesn’t = safe.

Edit: dates, point remains the same

−10

LangMildInteressant t1_j87l1je wrote

Running properly maintained equipment is one aspect of safety and new equipment hasn't had time or use to degrade and is therefore mechanically sound and therefore safe.

One of the other aspects of safety, perhaps the most important, is competent pilots, engineers, and air traffic controllers. I'd venture that Lion Air has less experienced pilots and lower requirements to get hired. An inexperienced pilot can crash a new plane.

boysan98 t1_j87t6vd wrote

That is not the argument you think it is. That reflects more on bad pilots or poor maintaince. The 737-800’s crashes are overwhelmingly pilot error or maint failures. I see one that might be because of manufacturing issues.

teh_maxh t1_j87mjmo wrote

Ryanair might be uncomfortable, but they're not unsafe.

hsvsunshyn t1_j86tzvw wrote

I figured they did at some level, but I did not specifically think about it until I watched Mentour Pilot's video on the Quantico/OrientThai/One-Two-Go Airlines Flight 269 crash in Thailand. Petter specifically advised using the EU blacklist to check on smaller/regional airlines, even if they do not fly to the EU, before flying with them.

WarriorData t1_j869mri wrote

Learned that after the Nepal crash

Naznarreb t1_j88en5d wrote

If you don't want to download the PDF, it's all small, regional carriers primarily from developing countries in Africa and the Middle East, though there are a number of carriers from Russia.

pobody t1_j86h2z2 wrote

I mean, all first world countries do. I think the FAA follows the ICAO guidance for compliance.

capty26 t1_j887e12 wrote

Can confirm on the Congo airlines. Once was enough for them! I refuse all work now that requires flights to brazerville, regardless of carrier!

avipars t1_j8h6d4d wrote

What about air Jordan ?