Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

gonzar09 t1_jaeefto wrote

I still remember the episode Superman: The Animated Series dedicated to his memory as if I watched it yesterday.

Long live the king.

Enuidanced t1_jaf0h6d wrote

Ohh what episode is that? I'd like to see it!

gonzar09 t1_jaf2xru wrote

Apokalips Now, Parts 1 and 2. If you watch the series from the beginning, take note of Detective Dan Turpin and his likeness to Kirby.

captainedwinkrieger t1_jaf4ssz wrote

They even threw a Stan Lee cameo into the original version of the 2nd episode's final scene. Unfortunately, they scrubbed it from subsequent re-releases.

Edit: they did put it back into the HBO Max and Blu-ray versions.

Peanut_Champion t1_jaeoair wrote

From his IMBD trivia page: https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0456158/trivia

Jack Kirby was famous for being as tough as his characters. For instance, when a gangster was shaking down Kirby's boss, Will Eisner, to take his towel service, Kirby charged in to throw the gangster out. When Kirby created Captain America with Joe Simon, Nazi sympathizers once gathered in the lobby of the office building where the pair worked to threaten them. However, when upon hearing that Kirby was heading down with his sleeves rolled up to physically confront them himself, they fled before he arrived.

dilldoeorg t1_jaefkmm wrote

shit, marvel should make that into a movie. Get chris evans to play kirby

geekteam6 OP t1_jaep02c wrote

It really would be a way better direction for the MCU movies rather than yet another Various Superheroes Save the Universe Again story arc. Kirby and Lee were Jewish-Americans watching for years as the Nazis came into power, created these Hitler-punching superheroes as a way to process their horror -- and then they themselves get drafted into that war to help fight it first hand.

EDIT: Accidentally wrote Ditko was Jewish and went to war (wrong on both counts), removed.

greenappletree t1_jaesbcl wrote

That would be twisted in a nice way playing the role of the co-creator who created the role he played jn - would actually sort of fit the metaverse they are narrating as well haha

AnthillOmbudsman t1_jaeg4lv wrote

No examples? Surely the National Archives would declassify some of this stuff.

Xannin t1_jaep5uj wrote

I wouldn’t be surprised if they were just never collected. He would pass the drawing to an officer who would then use it to devise strategies. They would then use it as a starting point for more detailed maps in the future and they would throw it away when it outlived its usefulness.

Source: I’m totally guessing based on conjecture

TheOnesWhoWander t1_jaexo6s wrote

Especially if he wasn't famous yet

DontPressAltF4 t1_jaf19os wrote

Captain America #1 came out in March 1941.

By December 1941 it was Marvel's #1 selling franchise. (Marvel was called Timely Comics back then, but it's the same company)

Whether he was "famous" or not is subject to the same niche problems people face today. Can you name the number one comic book writer of 2022-23?

TheOnesWhoWander t1_jaf1u6s wrote

Not a clue. I doubt many people expected comics to become as endearing as they did in the 1940s. It was probably just pop culture landfill at the time, not expected to evolve and become a classic.

UtetopiaSS t1_jaehdfx wrote

"You can draw comics? Shit then, son, you can draw a map". From cartoonist to cartographer. Military thinking, right there.

Edit: Re-reading my comment, I can't help but read the "quote" in Tommy Lee Jones's voice, and in the movie of this, TLJ is the officer that sends him on his map drawing mission.

enfiel t1_jaew7t2 wrote

Especially when they had complete air control and could get up a reconaissance plane pretty much whenever they wanted.

−49

beachedwhale1945 t1_jaezi9k wrote

The reconnaissance plane then has to fly back to the UK, have the film unloaded from the rather bulky cameras, develop the film, turn it over to analysts, have the analysts create maps, get those maps across the English Channel by plane or boat, and get that map to the front lines. By which time the unit that wanted the map has already taken that bit of ground and moved on.

Kirby’s maps would be used within a day of their creation. If you want maps that fast of a particular tactical area, you use some guy on the ground, not aircraft. Photo-reconnaissance aircraft were used for grander strategic reconnaissance duties, including tracking German ships and factory outputs.

geekteam6 OP t1_jaedzu2 wrote

>Kirby was drafted into the U.S. Army on June 7, 1943. After basic training at Camp Stewart, near Savannah, Georgia, he was assigned to Company F of the 11th Infantry Regiment. He landed on Omaha Beach in Normandy on August 23, 1944, 2+1⁄2 months after D-Day, although Kirby's reminiscences would place his arrival just 10 days after. Kirby recalled that a lieutenant, learning that comics artist Kirby was in his command, made him a scout who would advance into towns and draw reconnaissance maps and pictures, an extremely dangerous duty.

geekteam6 OP t1_jaeksdv wrote

In other words:

Guy who created iconic character enthusiastically volunteering for highly dangerous mission to fight Nazis actually got drafted and ordered to do highly dangerous mission to fight Nazis.

Tha_Watcher t1_jaezqh7 wrote

Please state his full name: Jack "The King" Kirby

yesiamclutz t1_jaeikv7 wrote

Astonishing imagination the man had. Legend is chuckled about a lot these days but Kirby transcends even even that.

scared_of_Low_stuff t1_jael85i wrote

That's why you keep your head down and don't volunteer for shit.

bolanrox t1_jaegv6t wrote

then Stan Lee bankrupted his brothers tractor dealership