Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

chairman_brommel t1_isr4prm wrote

Reminds me of the Polish guy that basically founded Pakistan's missile program. In that case the Polish airforce were evacuated from the Germans and reconstituted as a RAF formation, this guy chose not to return when the Soviets took over and was stationed to British India, and both countries retained British officers years after independence

Smart_Sherlock t1_iu10i6h wrote

Shush. This news can single-handedly ruin India-Poland relations, if it spreads

DaveOJ12 t1_isqgew8 wrote

What a story.

thunder_struck85 t1_isrhkgd wrote

This kind of thing is so stupid to me. He only competed under India because he could not qualify for Lithania or the USA teams.

If you're representing a country you should have trained in that country. You're showcasing the ability of that nation to produce quality talent and results.

Having grown up in India seems to irrelevant if you never actually did anything skiing related there 🤷

−8

Foreign-Complaint130 t1_isspr89 wrote

So athletes should never train overseas?

The Olympics isn't supposed to be "showcasing the ability of [any] nation to produce quality talents and results." The Olympic Charter says "The goal of Olympism is to place sport at the service of the harmonious development of humankind, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the preservation of human dignity.” and honestly, people traveling and experiencing new cultures, having an expansive view of nationality and representation etc seems much more in line with that ethos imho