Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Rogers_Ebert t1_je5c7lo wrote

We need people to work and provide servies to the community. We need families to continue providing a tax base to continue as a community. Communities are made up of people and we get more people by reproducing, we need to incentivize this.

It is also a tax break from previous liabilities the family already had, they aren't getting money from the State just keeping more of what they already earned, not the State.

Kvltadelic t1_je6uq66 wrote

I don’t know how you could take a clear eyed view of the world and come to the conclusion that we need more people. Global population has skyrocketed in the past few generations, im pretty sure we will be ok.

Look- I am very supportive of social programs that help children and families. And I fully accept that I am paying for program which I won’t directly reap the benefits of, because that’s just part of being in a society that has empathy and takes care of those who need it.

But I just can’t get behind the idea that you should be discounted from that social and financial obligation BECAUSE you are having kids and creating the need for it.

−1

Rogers_Ebert t1_je7mb3q wrote

This idea has been repeated over and over again, yet we have adapted. We adapted through hunger virtually eliminating it in most parts of the world.

Maybe your cynical misanthropic view is the problem?

Kvltadelic t1_je7o7nv wrote

Ooooo big swing! I think you are right, the solution to resource scarcity and climate change is definitely optimism!

I’m not cynical or misanthropic at all, I live a relaxing, nap-filled, child free existence. It’s really quite pleasant. And I’m very supportive of other peoples decisions, good on you- have 12 of you want 12. How about you take some responsibility for your actions and pay the taxes I pay in order to fund all of the government resources your children can use. I’m just sick of subsidizing other people getting knocked up because society tells me there is some intangible benefit of spitting out more humans.