Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ChefPneuma t1_ixcumzm wrote

Really cool

It’s so similar to todays layout

whaletacochamp t1_ixd5exu wrote

It’s almost like it’s the same town with most of the same buildings!

Not to be an ass…but…how would the layout be any different now?

MisterMcFlyXXVI OP t1_ixdcjih wrote

This map was 140 years ago. So many cities look entirely different than they did then. Though I grew up in Vermont I lived the last 9 years in Richmond Virginia which is virtually unrecognizable compared to 1884.

whaletacochamp t1_ixdgv4a wrote

Fair point. But with a rural city like Montpelier I don’t expect the large changes that many other large cities would see. Even a lot of old northeast cities like Boston and Montreal have sections that are largely unchanged minus what’s been added around it.

Montpelier is also a city that is very much built around its natural landmarks. So things tend to stay where they are because there’s no better place for them.

Hell_Camino t1_ixep4yo wrote

I live in Montpelier in a neighborhood off Terrace Street (upper left corner of the map) that was developed in the 50s and 60s. It’s not even on the map as anything other than woods.

And the tower of Hubbard Park isn’t on the map; which is a local landmark.

So, lots of changes are possible over that time.

mountainofclay t1_ixey075 wrote

There is a tower farther back though. I wonder what that was?

Hell_Camino t1_ixfahi1 wrote

Perhaps that was a predecessor to the current tower

mountainofclay t1_ixid1e0 wrote

Do you think the tower in the map is the same location as the current tower or is it farther back?

21stCenturyJanes t1_ixcqmqg wrote

Looks very similar to today. Montpelier has been managing to block development for over 100 years!

zkentvt t1_ixd8etd wrote

I can see my old house from here!

advamputee t1_ixd4rr9 wrote

I saw a similar one in a cafe yesterday of White River Junction!

Vermonter_Here t1_ixdc19f wrote

I count six covered bridges!

The sixth is a bit less obvious; see if you can find it. :)

Also, really interesting to see how Hubbard Park hill was almost completely treeless! Here are some more photos showing what that looked like, including an aerial photo from 1927.

[deleted] t1_ixewb67 wrote

There’s a copy of this in Capitol grounds

VanBanSargent t1_ixfuan8 wrote

I can see my house ! It was built in 1880. The illustration doesn't really look like it but there is a building where my house is.

BeckyKleitz t1_ixdcza1 wrote

All those covered bridges!!!

mycophdstudent t1_ixe57sc wrote

Shows how heavily deforested Vermont was 140 years ago compared to now.

Intelligent-Hunt7557 t1_ixfhvvx wrote

I assume you know why but for others: wool >>> milk back then, which prioritizes cleared land…

varadins t1_ixet71i wrote

Thanks for sharing this!

_crAss_ t1_ixfwc6s wrote

The Main St bridge/ Berlin St intersection and gateway looks way more interesting from back then instead of the gas station and supermarket parking lot of today.

AutoRot t1_ixg3p1v wrote

No Langdon street. That’s the only major addition to the downtown core I can see here. I wonder why it was added

FRANPW1 t1_ixkz61b wrote

Still looks the same.