Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

friedmpa t1_ixhcyea wrote

Went from leaves to skiing as the daily question have fun answering

CommissionEvery7532 t1_ixhjhp8 wrote

Smugglers Notch is a great Family Resort. Plenty to do with the various ages. Indoor FunZone, Indoor Pool, multiple heated outdoor Pools. There is tubing in the Village. They have a good rental shop and a decent beginners hill. There are also options to have them taught by instructors there.

grnmtnboy0 t1_ixhjh9i wrote

Jay Peak has excellent skiing and an indoor water park. The kids will love it

mr_raymond_chen t1_ixhhugk wrote

Killington, Stratton, Okemo, Sugarbush, Mt Snow, Stowe. Are you flying direct to btv? Or into Boston and driving up? Because that will make a big difference.

Unique-Public-8594 t1_ixhkih7 wrote

Why isn’t this question automatically removed and posted in NewToVermont sub instead? Isn’t that why the NewToVermont sub was started? Isn’t there a bot working now?

55Sansar1998 t1_ixhj7jj wrote

Sugarbush is where I ski, but I'm surprised that no one here has recommended Jay Peak. If you're flying into Burlington Jay is no farther than any other mountain, and it has an indoor water park. The past few Winters were just as likely to have rain as snow in January, in the indoor water park is a great feature if it's not the best skiing weather

Loudergood t1_ixi78im wrote

Jay is definitely farther than Smuggs and Bolton. I've had season passes at all three and Jay was just too far for after work fun when I was working nights.

Hank_Arrr_Hill t1_ixiife4 wrote

Jay also has that huge indoor water park, which could be helpful if/when the kids have enough of being outside on the mountain

mistahboogs t1_ixht37d wrote

Perhaps it's the shady business that's been associated with Jay Peak that people shy away from

55Sansar1998 t1_ixhu9wj wrote

Maybe, but none of that fraud or embezzlement was directly related to the resort itself or the running of the resort. It was the owners embezzling from other projects and defrauding the investors of other projects

mistahboogs t1_ixhus11 wrote

Yeah I never did a deep dive on the entire situation, just knew it had been a lot of bad press. I don't ski or snowboard so I was just speculating.

DemonKnight42 t1_ixhk8p0 wrote

Need more info before we can really help. If you’re flying into Boston/Manchester/Hartford you have different choices than if you’re going into Albany or Burlington.

Coming from the south, Killington, Okemo, Mt. Snow, Stratton, Bromley. Probably in that order. I don’t know who offers tubing up here though.

If you fly up north, Stowe is the big one, but Smugglers Notch, Jay Peak and Bolton Valley are all good options as well. You can get to those from south, but add 2-3 hours drive time.

My personal recommendations would be Killington, Stowe and Okemo in that order. All 3 are large mountains with a lot of real estate to give everyone something they can ski. All 3 have reputable ski schools and a lot of rental options around. And all 3 have good on mountain or close by lodging options, killington and Stowe being the bigger ones.

Good luck. I ride all 3 all winter, hopefully we’ll have some good snow dumps before you get up here.

phred14 t1_ixhdijj wrote

Way back when, Bolton Valley was the place for inexperienced skiers. Specifically for the kids, Cochran's is good, but that may be more for locals in seasonal programs.

reverievt t1_ixhjp2h wrote

Don’t understand the downvotes. This is a good suggestion. Cochran’s is not a ski resort but it’s a great place for kids to learn to ski. Bolton is where local students have after-school ski programs.

55Sansar1998 t1_ixhkvec wrote

I would definitely not recommend Cochran's to anybody coming from out of state!

phred14 t1_ixhs5rq wrote

Out of curiosity, why not?

I know it's more into programs for kids and longer term things like that, and I know some of the facilities are a bit crude, but is there something beyond that?

VTFossil t1_ixhlsgo wrote

I dont get the negativity either?? Both have great bunny slopes for teaching the kids If you're in Burlington, Bolton is only 35 minutes to the resort, Cochrans is 25, but just a ski hill. True that both are impacted more by warm weather. Check the conditions. So much more to do around Burlington. If you are staying at the resort the whole time, the bigger resorts mentioned will work. Smugglers Notch has a water park, only an hour from Burlington...

primetime_2018 t1_ixhegmu wrote

Stratton is an excellent family mountain. All around excellent experience and enough trail variety that with a bit of practice everyone can get the top of the mountain and down.

71802VT t1_ixhfm87 wrote

Sugarbush. I would stay right at the main hotel if you can. That's all about ski and tub. they keep the outdoor pool open all winter.

Lundgren_pup t1_ixii8mr wrote

SB is very family friendly, and has those comfortable outdoor seats with fires going every day, and you have two whole mountains to choose from. The only thing I'm not sure about is other kid friendly things besides skiing. They need an arcade or an indoor jungle gym or something.

Unique-Public-8594 t1_ixhka1e wrote

Looks like Jay, Sugarbush, or Smuggs have the most amenities for kids.

Effinehright t1_ixhtiso wrote

Smuggs is far and away the best for kids and it isn't close

deadowl t1_ixj1zso wrote

I recommend also asking r/icecoast. There are a bunch of like high end resort places but then there are plenty of other places that are softer on the wallet.

skook1986 t1_ixjsjod wrote

Killington/Pico. No debate necessary.

berlage1856 t1_ixm6dvf wrote

Consider Bromley Mountain in Peru: a great family mountain, facing south (which can help on a really cold day). Great family atmosphere and just right for kids learning to ski. Big enough but no worry about getting lost from each other. Not sure about tubing, but near lots of other, larger ski mountains a short drive away. Town of Manchester with lots of restaurants, shopping, first rate bookstore is very nearby.

cpujockey t1_ixpxomp wrote

What is skiing?

You rich people have weird hobbies.

keithinz85 t1_ixhdc3i wrote

Mount Snow, Okemo, or Smugglers Notch.

Nutmegdog1959 t1_ixhfain wrote

Cochran's, Richmond, VT

−2

ARealVermontar t1_ixhmpt5 wrote

I don't think they have the hot tub OP is looking for

Nutmegdog1959 t1_ixhp5fi wrote

Cochran's Family Season Pass is $295 for the WHOLE Family. With what you save at Cochran's you could buy your own goddam hot tub!

PerennialPangolin t1_ixhxev7 wrote

I think there’s a decent chance that “tub” is actually a typo for “tube,” although to the best of my knowledge none of the Vermont resorts actually offer snow tubing.

realize-finiteworld t1_ixhe3t3 wrote

Definitely Stowe. Best family experience and easy to get to from the airport

−3

Formal_Coyote_5004 t1_ixhih4d wrote

But on the weekends you can get stuck in traffic for two hours on the mountain road trying to get there. I work on the mountain road… that situation isn’t fun for anyone. It sucks haha

tossawayintheend t1_ixhqkvi wrote

And it's $30 just to park on weekends!

Stuck Fowe

Formal_Coyote_5004 t1_ixhr10w wrote

Yeah there’s nothing good about it now. I just work in Stowe to make money and then go back to my quiet home outside the craziness haha. Pretty sad considering I grew up riding Stowe every single day but that seems laughable now