Submitted by NewEnglandBound t3_zqzstv in vermont

I am in a weird situation thats between disability and employment. As a result, I am not sure how to navigate or who to talk to. I have tried the legal referral from the VT bar association and have talked to a couple of law offices, but they wont let me schedule an appointment until I am denied disability.

Because I am in this weird middle area, (facing potential layoff) I dont want to wait that long. But the lawyers I can find, dont do paid consultations. All I am looking for is a lawyer I can explain my weird situation to and get advice so I am not screwed over. I am willing to pay.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ChickenGuzman t1_j13xh36 wrote

The VT bar referral attorney should provide you a 30 minute consultation for $25. If they aren’t doing that and denying you a consultation, you should let the VBA know and keep looking. That initial consultation should at least provide you some general direction.

Unique-Public-8594 t1_j10wwme wrote

Maybe see what r/legal recommends?

Or try LegalShield? But they get mixed reviews.

NewEnglandBound OP t1_j112lqg wrote

I tried r/legaladvice and they told me to consult a local lawyer

Unique-Public-8594 t1_j11683c wrote

How about LegalShield?

NewEnglandBound OP t1_j11djg9 wrote

I'd that a local lawyer?

Unique-Public-8594 t1_j11e7jy wrote

It’s a monthly subscription that gets you a wide variety of legal services for maybe $30/mo but I’ve not used them. Reviews are mixed. Some people quite happy. Some very disappointed. You can call them to ask if you would get a local attorney.

From what I’ve read, you would get representation from attorneys who represent other clients at their normal rate (hundreds per hour). I’m guessing that the attorney does this work to fill in gaps when business lags?

No-Ganache7168 t1_j128c4l wrote

I would get my medical ducks in a row first. You need to prove that you are unable to work enough to support yourself due to the severity of your condition. You may be eligible if you’re only able to work a small number of hours.

Get a medical consultation and a copy of the physician notes. Get a second opinion. Remember that if you go through an attorney you have to fork over some of the money you receive.

deadowl t1_j167qrm wrote

Depending on your income, Vermont Legal Aid. Otherwise, go back to the Bar referral service and let them know the referral didn't work out. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Can also contact a group relating to disability advocacy.

Historical-Run-1511 t1_j183wsd wrote

So in my old job I often dealt with people trying to get disability. Seems like almost everyone gets denied on their first application and then the lawyers get involved for the appeal. That might be why they want to wait to talk until the denial. Which is kinda dumb if you're just looking for an outline of the process. So either way I'd get the process started.