Submitted by brighteyes111 t3_yisa85 in washingtondc

The economy is what it is and I need to build a professional wardrobe on a tight budget. Many second-hand stores I’ve found in the city sell “vintage” and designer clothes I still can’t afford. I’m looking for Zara, H&M type clothes for a fraction of their original price.

Any suggestions in D.C. or even the broader DMV area?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

theglassishalf t1_iuk9it9 wrote

Yes. Go to goodwill stores located in rich neighborhoods, preferably ones that are inaccessable by Metro. You'll find amazing stuff in NOVA.

tinydarklord t1_iuk8u3e wrote

I liked Banana Republic Factory when I was first setting up my wardrobe. The online options seem to be limited but the closest store is half an hour away. Depending on how professional you need to dress (business casual vs business professional), TJMaxx/Marshalls can be good for tops (not pants) because those don't necessarily need to be the highest quality (though be mindful of the fabrics). I think not really frequently mentioned but I remember years ago I got my first full suit from JCPenny and I know they have deals.

All in all when I had to wear business professional clothes, I got like 3 pants, 10 tops, a skirt, and a dress + a couple blazers so you can get buy with less (and I find I can generally get cheaper tops vs needed high quality pants because you can always wear a tank top under tops if they're a little sheer due to fabric)

Old Navy is also worth a look for very basic layering pieces and occasionally they have tops that could be work tops.

Playful-Translator49 t1_iuk89zf wrote

My neighborhood buy nothing type group often has this. Let’s of nice stuff people not going back to office work.

brighteyes111 OP t1_iuk8teo wrote

Are these groups on Facebook? I’ve heard of people using them for household items, never thought about using them for clothes. I’ll have a look!

ResponsibleAssistant t1_iukau01 wrote

Poshmark is great once you know your size across a few brands. Of course there’s often the added cost of shipping. But still a decent price.

Also, I second the thrift store—Goodwill and Salvation Army options in nicer areas! I’m also just relocating to the area, coming from more rural part of Virginia and have scored some great items when visiting.

Baby_Becca t1_iuk9ljk wrote

Unique Thrift on Viers Mill in Silver Spring/Aspen Hill area could be a good option. They have a few other area stores as well. I've seen stuff there that's still new with tags.

brusselsproutqueen t1_iukbz2s wrote

Unique in Falls Church, Clock Tower Thrift and goodwill in falls church were a trifecta for me to find business clothes when I first moved here

86rudifer t1_iuk9kql wrote

Current Boutique on 14th can be worthwhile on a budget, and I think holiday weekends tend to be 20% off (Veterans weekend is coming up).

ilovearthistory t1_iuk9ijk wrote

i built a lot of my professional wardrobe from browsing at unique, a giant thrift store in merrifield, which you can get to by metroing to dunn loring and walking about 20 minutes (or drive). they often have really good quality secondhand professional clothes (ann taylor, ralph lauren, banana republic) for super low prices - you do have to dig because there is tons of stuff and a lot of crap, but i’ve often found lots of good professional stuff for 5-20 dollars an article

Milazzo t1_iuk9lb4 wrote

Current Boutique in-store has a lot of those brands, and then Buffalo Exchange, if they are still over on 14th St (Haven't been back in a while and am not sure)

arwai t1_iukb34u wrote

buffalo exchange closed.

hbauman0001 t1_iukaktg wrote

Try Catholic Charities Christ House Thrift store. It's a few blocks up from The king street metro.

rewindpaws t1_iuk7v4i wrote

Ebay.

brighteyes111 OP t1_iuk8jg4 wrote

Thank you. I’ve looked on there but it doesn’t seem to make sense with the cost of shipping + difficulty of returning it if doesn’t fit.

rewindpaws t1_iuk9bxa wrote

Filter to those with free shipping only, pay attention to measurements. It is still less expensive to get a secondhand piece tailored than buying it new. Better for the environment too.