Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Demigod787 t1_jaeskzj wrote

I was one of the first adopters of solar in my neighborhood thanks to the government's solar scheme. Six years later, my solar panels have more than paid for themselves and now almost every rooftop has them. I owe it all to my electricity company for making my life so fucking difficult that I had to get solar just to say "fuck you" to them.

KiwiHorror1 t1_jaetvls wrote

we need more folks like you speaking out about their experiences, because in other countries, we're still trapped in the "but where do we store all duh energy when the sun has gone bye bye?!" level of willfull ignorance.

SerpentineLogic t1_jaezo7j wrote

That's still an issue across the wider grid, but some parts of Australia have hydro power, so you can either slow them down or run them in reverse when power is plentiful.

KiwiHorror1 t1_jaf3pd6 wrote

yeah I'm lucky to live in an area where hydro is so plentiful that my electricity bill is regularly below $20. I'd love to see advances in storage technology that didn't need lithium from impoverished countries.

augustm t1_jaew2fb wrote

I just want to say that is a fantastic username.

autotldr t1_jaeccrd wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 86%. (I'm a bot)

> Rooftop solar is poised to overtake coal as Australia's biggest source of generation capacity, as the rapid pace of new installations accelerates the decline of fossil fuel-fired power.

> "When the Liddell coal-fired power station closes in April 2023, rooftop solar alone will generate more power than the remaining coal-fired power stations operating across the country, making rooftop solar the largest power generator."Australian rooftops now host over 20 gigawatts of solar power.

> While solar power is Australia's biggest source of electricity generation by capacity, figures show coal continues to provide the greatest volumes of power despite big declines in recent years.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: solar^#1 power^#2 Australia^#3 energy^#4 Rooftop^#5

SGTBookWorm t1_jaewbhn wrote

Wish we could install solar on our house, but the roof was built so dodgily that it probably wouldn't be able to support it....