Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

[deleted] t1_jdt4ck4 wrote

Just think, if there was a General strike in BOTH Germany, Isreal and France, all at the same time, just think of the implications.

bigmikeylikes t1_jdt6n51 wrote

Fuck it we're doing it live, strikes everywhere! Fuck the establishment, fuck greed, fuck corruption, fuck HATRED!

skobuffaloes t1_jdw9xxi wrote

The US would strike but we have no clue how to organize and fear our managers.

Dafuqucair t1_jdtumly wrote

It’s Revolting.

Extansion01 t1_jdwo119 wrote

No, they only ask for a wage increase. Nothing to do with revolting or shit.

People like to pretend otherwise, but this is a system at work, like it or not. Not actually against the system itself.

Rivster79 t1_jdutj10 wrote

But the thing is they’re not gonna say "no", they would never say "no" because of the implication.

SkorpD94 t1_jdusmk6 wrote

Before the covid pandemic hit the world and lockdowns were put to halt it, there were massive protests all over the world, most notably in Chile, Hong Kong, Algeria, Soudan, Liban and, to a lesser extent, France (tho some can argue that France is in a permanent state of protest). It's great to see that people started to protest back after covid became less of a problem, we have to finish what we started

[deleted] t1_jdvepqm wrote

Expecally in Hong Kong, I remember how huge those Protests were back in 2019.

banksharoo t1_jdugtan wrote

It's almost as if people are pissed off. Albeit it's for a different reason in Israel.

HarryT_CVN75_A4W1 t1_jdxoyp6 wrote

I would think that would be good for the US economy with half our competitors treading water.

macross1984 t1_jdt4hla wrote

With greater percentages of profit going into shareholder and upper management, perhaps it is time for German companies to learn to spread its wealth littler wider at the expense of upper class who already have more than enough money to make ends meet.

The benefit here will be people will have more disposable income which in turn will stimulate economy.

LoL_is_pepega_BIA t1_jdu6st1 wrote

How can anyone else be satisfied with their life when I'm not making obscene profits???

And how can the world just go and get better if I'm not the only one benefitting from it?

autotldr t1_jdt54pu wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 75%. (I'm a bot)

> Munich airport was ghostly quiet on Sunday in a precursor to a nationwide strike that will bring much of Germany to a standstill on March 27.

> A top union boss in Germany justified the massive strike planned for Monday as a "Matter of survival" according to an interview published in the Bild am Sonntag newspaper.

> The strike, Germany's largest in decades, is expected to cause widespread disruption on railways and at airports in Europe's largest economy.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: airport^#1 strike^#2 Germany^#3 union^#4 month^#5

[deleted] t1_jdurqon wrote

We need something like this in the US, but too many people here are convinced of the lie that it's somehow beneficial to them for their employers to pay them breadcrumbs while their executives make more money in a year than they'll ever see in their lives.

dwarfstar2054 t1_jdv3pm8 wrote

Yes. I’ve learned that voting doesn’t really work. If you read history and heck even during the pandemic - they really don’t want you to stay home. Civil disobedience or general strikes across multiple industries is the only way to get the capitalist attention. However, things will have to get pretty bad for that to happen here

globular_fluster t1_jdwablx wrote

> I’ve learned that voting doesn’t really work.

Every time someone says this a kid gets kicked out of a school lunch program.

Spring____spring69 t1_jdv4er2 wrote

Company I work for just approved hundreds of thousands of dollars in bonuses for execs. The president couldn't tell you anything specific about the product for a view other than big picture stuff. I'm so happy to be over worked and unable to afford kids or a house or even to move if I wanted/needed to. Have a masters degree and work in IT. Great to see that the people who do the least at the company can afford to put down payments on three more houses just for fun this week.

bit25slim t1_jdv3f22 wrote

You know how hard a general strike in a country this size would be? 4 time zones just on the mainland. Very different ideas in every region of what’s ideal.

The west coast is VASTLY different then the east coast. Culture, economics, etc.

Reblyn t1_jdv6ssj wrote

Honestly, I know Americans pride themselves in being a big diverse country, but you use that excuse way too often to do nothing and you also underestimate other countries (and by extension yourselves).

Germany is not homogenous, we were a split country for several decades. The economic impact of that can still be felt and seen today. The east is significantly poorer than the west, has different cultural influences from Soviet times and generally also votes entirely different from the Western part of Germany. You can still see the Iron curtain in pretty much all German statistics. Not to mention the differences between the North and South (e.g. pretty much everyone clowns the Bavarians, they’re way more conservative and self-centered than the rest of us). It still works, because we don‘t let that stop us. You‘d do well to do the same instead of giving up instantly every single time.

ultimahmeme t1_jdu799e wrote

Err how long does strike like this last?

janolf t1_jdudlyv wrote

This is just a „Warnstreik“ and it lasts for one day. If no headway is going to be made in the talks between union reps and companies, there might come a longer strike until an accord can be found. Last year, nurses and other assistant staff at the six university clinics in Germany’s largest federal state of NRW striked for six weeks.

Extansion01 t1_jdwobfg wrote

Just to add: Real strikes could (hopefully not) follow after the 29th, when the last bargaining round ends.

dkyguy1995 t1_jduagsu wrote

Why did I read this like mega strike was some military operation

gaukonigshofen t1_jdtbmn7 wrote

what are the union benefits of striking workers in Germany? is it full or partial pay during strike? I also assume union workers are protected from job loss during strike? yeah i know it's one day, just curious

throway65486 t1_jdto1i7 wrote

Yes they are protected. Union Benefits depends on the union the first website I found said average is around two thirds of normal pay but it varies.

Chee5e t1_jducatv wrote

Pay varies, my mum is participating and gets 80% I think.

[deleted] t1_jdti248 wrote

[deleted]

−14

destinationlalaland t1_jdtj2np wrote

There's no right to convenient travel. If a strike doesn't effect people negatively, it would be ineffective.

I've a complicated opinion of unions, but the right to strike is an important one, and the germans should be free to exercise it.

MediumATuin t1_jdtitbl wrote

So, what are your alternatives then? Yes this sucks for a lot of people but seems to be the most effective way workers have.