Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

sadetheruiner t1_iu8id5r wrote

The list would be endless if we started talking about government censorship. This isn’t a new thing and nobody should be surprised. Is it wrong? Absolutely. Is it common? Absolutely.

autotldr t1_iu8hww8 wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 91%. (I'm a bot)

> LONDON, United Kingdom - The ways the Philippine government has repressed the media are part of a global trend on attacks on press freedom, legal experts said during the 2022 Reuters Trust Conference held in London on Wednesday, October 26.

> The Duterte government enforced the feared anti-terror law at the height of the pandemic in 2021, a law slammed across political aisles in the Philippines as a pretense to crack down on dissenters.

> Under Marcos government, red-tagging against journalists or the vicious linking of media personalities to communist rebels has not ceased.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: government^#1 media^#2 law^#3 Philippine^#4 Khan^#5

BarfingOnYourFace t1_iubkp0c wrote

You know, in the US, censorship would probably be better than some of our media propaganda outlets…. Edit: phrased that like shit. What I meant to say is it would be great if we censored Fox News.

Aikman8 t1_iubt35s wrote

Come to the US. Stat!!!!

PhuketIvanaBangkok t1_iu8gta2 wrote

Justin Trudeau's government in Canada has two censorship bills they're trying to pass into law that will undoubtedly be used to suppress political dissent.

−13

Anita_Nabore-Shun t1_iu8ht4w wrote

He's already used the Emergency Measures Act to supress political dissent so this doesn't surprise me.

−15

Bigdildo3000 t1_iu8iqvm wrote

I don't care for Philippines lol they choose this monster to rule

−16

betawings OP t1_iu8nd47 wrote

Hey, not all filipinos voted for him. I didn’t vote for him, Reddit Philippines is not happy he won.

its not a uniquely filinpino thing to vote for tyrants and corrupt politician. you guy’s elected donald trump And he might win again next election. Disinformation is infecting the whole world. And something needs to be done.

TheRetenor t1_iu8vmi6 wrote

How short sighted

Bigdildo3000 t1_iu91pli wrote

That's the beauty of democracy, you can see how the people truly are thought voting

−11

TheRetenor t1_iu9ch0g wrote

That is theorietically true, however, reducing a country to the state of their thoughts resulting from censorship, oppression, misinformation and lack of higher education on averages really does make you one of the less qualified people to talk about democracy.