Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

DIBE25 t1_j6hjnpq wrote

> The No. 4 reactor was halted at 3:21 p.m., the Osaka-based utility said, adding that there has been no indication of the incident causing environmental contamination. The reactor's cooling function is normal, according to the Nuclear Regulation Authority.

nothing to worry about, plant did what it was supposed to do

[deleted] t1_j6htpkf wrote

[removed]

−58

DIBE25 t1_j6hwxqy wrote

alert worked, it alerted the right people of an out-of-the-norm situation

the automatic shutdown worked, it shut itself down automatically

the alert is not periodical per se, but since it did happen and I can't comment on what happened and why I'll just be happy the alert system worked properly

gaukonigshofen t1_j6i0ksv wrote

yes. sort of like check engine light. oh it went on? hmmmm went off later. no worries

−55

AstralElement t1_j6j6vy4 wrote

That’s not how it works. There’s a myriad of reasons an emergency scram can occur. An operator error in startup of auxiliary equipment can cause it. Stick with what you know.

• Former Reactor Operator

Flakmaster92 t1_j6hxpwl wrote

It functioned correctly. Something went wrong, or at least a sensor thinks something went wrong, the operators were notified, they took action, all is well until new information is presented. The bigger concern would be if the alert hadn’t fired when something may have been wrong.

RADnerd2784 t1_j6i60z8 wrote

The fact that the reactor was able to "SCRAM" means that it did its job when the rest of the system said something was wrong.

Plantasaurus t1_j6igc3h wrote

Fukui made world news! It’s the third least populated prefecture, and one of the few that has a higher birth rate because there is nothing to do there but bump uglies. Fukui: Japan’s North Dakota.

Sweet-Sale-7303 t1_j6j1ye3 wrote

The article stated it happened in November and was restarted in December.

Flutters1013 t1_j6hhu3i wrote

I'm hoping they don't have another nuclear meltdown.

−38

bostwickenator t1_j6hmxun wrote

Fukushima Daiichi was the cumulation of everything that could go wrong going wrong all at once. This however will be fine, no tsunami or earthquake, the power grid is still up.

Cheeseyex t1_j6jgzp3 wrote

Not to mention years of ignoring clear safety issues going all the way back to before they even built the plant