Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

neilious85 t1_je99j5v wrote

This picture has unlocked a childhood memory. Is this not from a story book?

dao_ofdraw t1_je9cs6h wrote

He created Dinotopia, all the books were written and illustrated by him.

simplyorangeandblue t1_jead0rj wrote

Yeah and my 6 year old dumb ass used to look at these and think this meant that dinos and humans lived in harmony at one point in history.

ChrisbKreme062 t1_jeahexl wrote

Evangelical Christians actually believe that though. At the creationist museum theres weird dioramas of dinosaurs pulling carts and playing with kids and stuff, I cant make this up.

simplyorangeandblue t1_jeajhiv wrote

grew up evangelical christian

Probably played into my confusion / misunderstanding. I'm still a Christian, but I mean like I can't just ignore science. Some of the things Evangelicals believe is just so blatantly dumb.

GallowJig t1_jec8hj9 wrote

I'm OK with this reality and will now adopt it as my own.

TossMeOneOrTwo t1_jed4h6h wrote

So you believe that a specific man from Galilee in Judea was the embodied form of the almighty creator of the universe, killed as a sacrifice to cleanse humanity's immortal souls of the impurities that would eternally separate them from communion with their creator?

That's what I remember from Sunday school, and just like you I don't see anything in there about a super young Earth, or contemporary dinosaurs, or God hates ***s, or embryos are people. Evangelicals really do like to toss whatever they feel like on top of the core premise, don't they?

Good on ya, friend, for not falling for their bullcrap! 👍 All that core premise stuff is pretty cool, though.

Citizen_Art t1_jeb4a9w wrote

So, u still believe it’s possible for snakes to talk? and women created from the ribs of man?

−6

jose12218 t1_jebeg4c wrote

wait when ur in the womb arent u firstly a women then slowly the penis forms so its man created from thw ribs of women.

LegendOfCrono t1_jeaom7t wrote

Man that hardcover book was truly something special when I was kid. I fucking loved dinosaurs, and the stunning art, the exciting Swiss Family Robinson style story, and just the awesome concept of a utopia of humans and dinosaurs was revolutionary for me. Man I need to see if I can find that old book....

KanesaurusRex t1_jebe00m wrote

Lucky bastard mine was paperback.

LegendOfCrono t1_jebe9k3 wrote

This legitimately made my nostalgia well up so much that I went online and found they have a 20th anniversary edition of the original book in hardcover. Well that is now my impulse purchase for this paycheck

Gasping_Cadaver t1_jebe121 wrote

I still have mine! It's in great condition too, all the pops ups still work great. I loved it as a kid and could never bring myself to get rid of it

r4nd0mf4ct0r t1_jed2aba wrote

But remember the words of Lee Crabb, who was technically correct when he declared it a "Terrible Place."

Symys t1_jearepm wrote

OMG me too!

Probably still have the book at my parent's. Looking at amazon I realised there is 4 books. Time to buy them all for my kids..... 😆

discohlemonade t1_jeda0tg wrote

I made sure to pack it last time I visited them! So much nostalgia

Symys t1_jeef9h0 wrote

Yeah I should go pick it up or ask them to bring it, they're coming over this sunday for my daughter's bday 😅

iamthehoard t1_je9b59d wrote

Same, but I think from a cartoon. I don’t think it was the flintsones

TheMelv t1_jeae9hj wrote

Dino-Riders if you're late 30s early 40s

tonyrizzo21 t1_jeay9m6 wrote

My mother worked security at a Tyco Toys distribution center in the 80's, and one Christmas was all Dino-Riders action figures and VHS tapes. None of my other friends knew WTF I was talking about when I told them. I think they may have been an early release / test market at the time.

We also got talking pull string Ed Grimley dolls that year. I was 5 and had no idea who he was.

TheMelv t1_jeb497k wrote

Those toys were awesome and I'm frankly shocked more hasn't been done with the IP. I thought it was on national television. Crazy people don't remember it but I guess there were a LOT of cartoons and toys back then.

discohlemonade t1_jeda3fs wrote

I’m so happy there are others like me….

I made extra sure to pack this up last time I was at my parents

dao_ofdraw t1_je9cxzw wrote

James Gurney is truly one of the greatest illustrators of all time. Creator of Dinotopia, and one of the most prolific National Geographic illustrators. Color and Light is one of the best instructional books on realistic color there is. Absolute must for any art student.

artwarrior t1_jeav8o2 wrote

Also his Youtube channel is jock full of instruction that is as good as any out there.

CoachOfTeamChaos t1_jeb7e6v wrote

psst... I think you meant "chock"

loptopandbingo t1_jebhtr1 wrote

The original expression is "jock full", referring to a full cup and jock strap. It was originally used in the late 1890s at baseball games referring to seemingly well-endowed players with enormous cups and jockstraps. Source: just made it up

ggrayg t1_jebrpm6 wrote

I highly recommend Imaginative Realism too - an absolutely excellent book for anyone who wants to work in illustration, animation, concept art, graphic novels or any form of narrative/sequential art. James Gurney is a legend and a wonderful instructional writer.

sneakzilla t1_jebe5mb wrote

Came here to mention this! Color and light is so cool. Seems like a good dude as well

Akai1up t1_jea0a4i wrote

I feel we need another Dinotopia adaptation. The Jurassic Park/World series has had a monopoly on dinosaurs for far too long.

For the record, I am a huge fan of the JP films... not so much the JW films. I saw 65 with Adam Driver recently and thought it was mid. We need more quality dino stuff, but I understand it'll require a lot of CGI and complex practical effects to fully realize. HBO, get at it!

lovecamp t1_jebp1to wrote

HBO Dinotopia would be tight

Akai1up t1_jec6i8a wrote

HBO is probably the only company I'd trust with a quality Dinotopia series. Netflix would cancel it, Amazon is real hit-or-miss with quality, Disney might cheap out since it's not a super popular IP, and SyFy would make it look like dino doodoo. Maybe Hulu or Apple could do it, but I'm not as familiar with their work. The original Hallmark show looked good for its time, but idk if they'd have the budget these days to make it up to standard.

Khyron_2500 t1_jed1grl wrote

Apple did pretty good with Prehistoric Planet, I’m not sure I’d take it all as hard fact, but holy crap did it look good. And of course anything narrated by Attenborough is straight fire.

aspidities_87 t1_jebtuvg wrote

Hell yeah, I agree. All I want is a flying pterosaur action scene.

Breathe deep, seek peace.

Bierbart12 t1_je9b4a7 wrote

Look at the good boy stepping those pumps

weirdest_of_weird t1_je9yiio wrote

Dino-Riders was my childhood, lol.

StampedeJonesPS4 t1_jeat8qw wrote

Hell yeah! I wasn't sure how many people actually knew about or remembered Dino-riders.

weirdest_of_weird t1_jeattco wrote

I had both movies on VHS, I wore those tapes out watching them almost daily 🤣. Get home from school, pretend I'm doing homework, watch Dino-Riders, get in trouble for not already doing homework. It was routine

Tex004 t1_jebk7rb wrote

YES!!! Was one of my favorites growing up.

Miskalsace t1_jebk0er wrote

The 80s was such a glorious time of combing video entertainment and toy sales. I had tons of them. They all got thrown away when our cat peed on the box in the garage.

RabsRibs t1_jeaj0aa wrote

Our lord and savior James Gurney, through Color and Light he leads us all.

Texish06 t1_jeawhkh wrote

I LOVE james Gurney and all of the dinotopia books, I had the opportunity to meet him and I got two dinosaur drawings for me and my brother… that I promptly lost.

mikefromearth t1_jec1oso wrote

I LOVED these books when I was a kid.

I loved them so much I sent James a letter, asking him to draw me a picture of waterfall city. Yeah, right?

Well he wrote me a personalized letter, signed by him and his son (who also wrote me a note!) and HE DREW A PEN DRAWING OF WATERFALL CITY FOR ME!!! He also sent a admittance ticket to Dinotopia :-)

That was the best day of my life.

c2srq t1_je99uyu wrote

Why cutoff the brontosaurus' head?

CraneStyleNJ t1_jeawu87 wrote

James Gurney's "Color and Light" is THE BEST book on the subject of painting, light, shadow and color theory.

I highly recommend this book to every artist who hasnt read it already.

cloudncali t1_jebn8fj wrote

Dinopunk is such a underrated genre

inagious t1_jea6m2s wrote

Reminds me of the books and too short tv series dinotopia. Nice work!

mpjgray t1_jeapi5t wrote

I have postcards from Dinotopia that are similar to this

AniAni00 t1_jear4kk wrote

I've been reading Color and Light and this reminds me that I wanted to look into what Dinotopia actually is and to find out more about the context of his paintings/illustrations from the book.

wanderinbear t1_jeb15jz wrote

Longboy!! /r/wow players will know..

rkalo t1_jebfrj1 wrote

James Gurney is great. You all should check out his YT channel, he has a gazillion outdoor painting demonstrations.

Due_Application_6850 t1_jea88bh wrote

This would be an incredible mural to paint on a child’s bedroom wall

omega_mog t1_jea8umg wrote

I love this so much.

You can tell a lot of thought went into it.

EastClintwood89 t1_jeaov6v wrote

Reminds me of the juggernaut brontosaurus from Turok Evolution.

Ventaura t1_jearcet wrote

I love designs like these so much! Incorporating different creatures into our modern world.

CivilProfit t1_jeb1d1m wrote

Oh my God Reddit needs to know so much more about these books, I learned to read because my family got me a copy of the world beneath and it endlessly fascinated my young mind.

Citizen_Art t1_jeb4h5g wrote

a heat protection for the Dino’s neck would be a good idea.

ScallionNo8580 t1_jebb29r wrote

I read this as dinosaur Farquaad and thought that the guy looking at us being Farquaad is a bit of a stretch

rufiooooo_ t1_jebmsdk wrote

Fred Flintstone would be proud

Empty_Pick6129 t1_jebocha wrote

Very cool, although those dino throats are gonna get hot without shielding in the front.

Criss_Crossx t1_jeccrok wrote

I got to see some of his paintings at an exhibit long ago! I loved the Dinotopia series too.

Kuwing t1_jecee74 wrote

I never believed in Santa Claus, but I believed in Dinotopia.

Nkechinyerembi t1_jecg97x wrote

I would have never quit being a firefighter....

TandT-artstudio t1_jed7kvz wrote

James Gurney has an absolutely incredible YouTube channel.

Mafro_Man t1_jedmfi5 wrote

Ah man, Turok Evolution vibes be comin'

kyunirider t1_je9p7gd wrote

I think the artist should have used a wooly mammoth for the fire hose. Have the water filled mammoths ready water filled and standing by for the long neck to lift and aim. Thanks for the flash of imagination

−6

Story-Artist t1_je9xb7g wrote

This is the guy that did Dinotopia, basically everything he did was dino themed. In the book they use dinosaurs in their society so I guess he was just coming up with ways different species could be used.

MatzeBlueeye t1_jea0i0d wrote

could be strqivtly riped out of the movies dinotopia lol

−6

ChrisbKreme062 t1_jeahoik wrote

Books came before movies and we're illustrated by this same artist