Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

sfxer001 t1_je9lslq wrote

My mother had a copy of this in our dining room. She always told me the woman had polio and could not make it home. I always questioned how did she get there in the first place? There’s no trail of her crawling there through the tall grass.

greatunknownpub t1_je9nd4y wrote

> Wyeth’s neighbor Anna Christina Olson inspired the composition, which is one of four paint­ings by Wyeth in which she appears. As a young girl, Olson developed a degenerative muscle condition—possibly polio—that left her unable to walk. She refused to use a wheelchair, preferring to crawl, as depicted here, using her arms to drag her lower body along. “The challenge to me,” Wyeth explained, “was to do justice to her extraordinary conquest of a life which most people would consider hopeless.”

https://www.moma.org/collection/works/78455

dewpacs t1_jeb3wem wrote

Interesting bit from Wikipedia:

A scene in the 1994 film Forrest Gump was inspired by the painting. When Jenny returns home, she throws herself on the ground and mirrors Olson's pose in reverse.

sfxer001 t1_jebuhnz wrote

I remember the scene. Thanks for pointing out the connection. Makes a lot of sense at the time of her character arc.

ghostcompost t1_jedoqf1 wrote

I think there's also a weird perspective trick going on here as well. We studied this painting in school. If I remember correctly, given how far she appears to be from the buildings, she's actually a giant. But you can't tell for some reason.

felixame t1_jeawtti wrote

My grandma had a copy in her living room. I always thought it was an oddly depressing painting to have in such a prominent place. No one ever really questioned it

eastoak961 t1_jebndr2 wrote

Yeah my grandma had a copy in her very stuffy living room. I still find the pairing oddly disquieting.

I much prefer his dog painting- master bedroom- https://wyethprintgallery.com/product/master-bedroom/

felixame t1_jebxbpc wrote

Whaaaat she had the dog painting too! I didn't know they were done by the same artist. When I was a kid I would imagine that one of the upper floor windows of the farmhouse was the same window from the dog painting.

PaulTR88 t1_jebbn76 wrote

My grandma had one in the dinning room, too. I never really got it.

mazurzapt t1_jecsjgu wrote

My mom loved this pairing as well. I find it so interesting that all these older women liked this painting. I wonder what the draw was? What did they see? I always thought it was weird but didn’t know the back story.

jacksont8 t1_jebiwsg wrote

I can copy and paste this exact comment and it’d be 100% applicable to my life haha. Literally ditto. I always imagined some mean dude just threw her in the field and walked away.

Burning_Flags t1_jecugi2 wrote

If only there was some sort of World Wide Web of information to answer this decades old question

lemonpolarseltzer t1_jeam6to wrote

I always thought it deserved a better spot in MoMA. For years it was (maybe still is?) in a small hall right next to the stairs.

99redproblooms t1_jeav9p2 wrote

When it hung at The Art Institute of Chicago, it had a really special place in a quiet Americana room downstairs.

When I went to see it at MoMA, I was absolutely shocked. It's in a busy hallway by some bathrooms.

WTF, MoMA? For reals. It's hard to appreciate such subtle beauty with hundreds of people shuffling by.

KurlyKayla t1_jeehra1 wrote

that's why the art institute of chicago is goated

JimShore t1_jebhuud wrote

It's not even on display at all anymore.

marsneedstowels t1_jebkb8q wrote

Yea, it was in a hall leading to the washrooms when I visited. It stuck in my memory, along with Yoko Ono.

A_knight_I_am t1_jeb0cxn wrote

I saw this in person on a high school field trip to the art museum. I spent so much time staring at this painting. Still can’t place what it was that I liked about it. Digital copies have never held me or captured my attention in the same way as viewing it in person did. Art museums are the best.

Green_Message_6376 t1_jec31vh wrote

>Art museums are the best.

Completely agree, only time this wasn't true for me was at the Louvre in Paris. My own fault probably, there was just too much art. I thought I was going to faint. Should probably take a two week trip to Paris, and break that museum into digestible chunks.

It is highly doubtful I'll ever have the scratch for such a trip.

Ephemerror t1_je9xeql wrote

I always thought it was rather strange that her arms were drawn to be so thin, especially as she was supposed to have effectively walked on her arms, and her legs are thin too, giving her a gaunt look, but then her butt is so full.

Y0udabest t1_jeb0c1c wrote

He got the idea by seeing Anna Olson in the field, but his wife was the model for the painting

KlausVonLechland t1_jeaug8h wrote

Hmm, maybe, but thanks to large resolution it is first time I actually took a close look at her hands. Clearly her her fingers and hands is where all thet burden shows.

in-joy t1_jeao2dr wrote

To me, this painting is a great combination of naturalism (realism) and abstraction.

neomal t1_jeb0ht3 wrote

I was able to see a Wyeth exhibit in the Denver Art Museum a few years ago and their markmaking is absolutely insane. Great use of abstract effects to create realistic composition.

nimnlil t1_je9kpfa wrote

Always loved this painting!

_SwordsSwordsSwords_ t1_jebg35l wrote

My favorite painting! It’s stunning person- except that I when I saw it, it was displayed in the hallway leading into the museum cafeteria!

No_East_8550 t1_jeamkq9 wrote

I saw this four years ago at the MoMA and have been searching for the title ever since!

JoeCasella t1_jecydks wrote

Has the same alienated, isolated, empty, cavernous feels of an Edward Hopper painting.

JimShore t1_jebhpih wrote

This is one of my favorite works of art, a great work of constructed realism. It is in possession currently/owned by the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. But Andrew Wyeth isn't highbrow or controversial enough for MOMA so they won't hang this painting for view in the museum - it's in storage. It seems to me that if they won't show the painting, they shouldn't have it.

MOMA link - https://www.moma.org/collection/works/78455

iamfriggie t1_jedmgl4 wrote

All museums circulate their holdings. They have tons in storage at all times. They'll bring this out again at some point.

Kcue6382nevy t1_jebmjzr wrote

I know this one from an episode of the Simpsons where mr burns has this painting but with the girl replaced with him

SirGuy11 t1_jebphpb wrote

I don’t know why this painting captivates me so.

bettertree8 t1_jeckwj5 wrote

If you ever have a chance go to the Brandywine Museum of Art in Chadds Ford, Pa. Lots of Wyeth painting.

ManyBlueMoonsAgo t1_jeba40z wrote

I always think of Forrest Gump when I see this painting. Really like the way Zemeckis mirrored the image with Jenny at her childhood home.

marissa0630 t1_jebmy6f wrote

There’s a great novel, A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline, about this painting.

mazurzapt t1_jectkhb wrote

Thanks for the comment on the book. I’m going to check it out

Zachariot88 t1_jec508e wrote

There's a great episode of Atlanta inspired by this painting.

Criss_Crossx t1_jeb8ht0 wrote

I have a Wyeth book somewhere, the paintings always mesmerized me.

ugmold t1_jebj0uw wrote

When I was about 7 that would put me all most in a dream state.

mysticcircuits t1_jecnxra wrote

I've seen this in person, he rendered every single blade of grass in the painting. Its really striking to see up close.

rockym73 t1_jecoqqz wrote

Loved the Brandwine Museum in PA. Wyeth painted scenery nearby where he lived (in PA), so the museum had a whole collection of amazing work.

SlowThePath t1_jecqrfz wrote

Whenever I see this painting, I can't help but think of Terrence Malick's Days of Heaven. He must have pulled some influence from this.

likkleone54 t1_jebfh48 wrote

This reminds me of inglorious bastards

Own_Ad3061 t1_jeccayy wrote

I bet she’d make a great stand up comedian

supagirl277 t1_jecqvuw wrote

This was made with the tiniest of brushes. Like, if you can zoom in on the grass, it is made up of so many different tiny brush strokes, it’s insane.

butterscotches t1_jecyk1n wrote

The setting is beautiful Cushing, Maine, USA.

jorgthorn t1_jedgkn9 wrote

Hopper master of empty. Intentional stale familiar. I like him like the band Tool

totalpugs89 t1_jedn00d wrote

I remember this one, either my mum or Nana had a copy but it always freaked me out.

PalmMallMars t1_jee8bpz wrote

Look up the other paintings of this guy. He can paint.

TrilobiteTerror t1_jefd9qu wrote

One of my all time favorite paintings (and probably my favorite American regionalist painting).