Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_j9b822o wrote

Anyone is free to call out whatever anyone wants - and so I am free to call out a lot of the critics.

Point is that anything you mention above is subjective and the fact that it may get a lot of likes, doesn’t make it more true.

Some of the Great Masters were shooed away in their own era. By no means do I mean to say the (arguably cheap) nudity posters here are the new great artists of this century. I’m only saying that we shouldn’t be too eager to pretend that what we think is unoriginal, actually is unoriginal to all.

I don’t we even disagree that much. Some - if not a lot - of the nudity posts bother me (but same goes for a share of the non-nudity posts too). Maybe only in the respect that I try not to judge a piece by originality or good taste. (I mean: I do judge, but not out in the open). The only instance in which I do do that, is when I think someone is trolling.

But then one might object - and maybe quite reasonably so - that following my own reasoning, I shouldn’t judge the supposed troll either.

Anyway, thanks for the debate. You thought it well through. Also thanks for keeping it clean. I sometimes get carried away in a discussion, but since that didn’t really happen here, I think that’s at least partly due to you.

Cu_fola t1_j9bhrgi wrote

I think my problem with that is that people who got shooed away only to later become regarded as masters were people who did something less common and got picked on for it

But I do agree that reception is highly subjective and concede that something might feel novel to someone just starting out