Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

lilymoscovitz t1_iqtfknz wrote

Sorrel hands down, they’re great boots.

JurassicPark-fan-190 t1_iqtkbh6 wrote

Sorel. I’m in Buffalo and have the Joan of arcs. They’ve lasted 3 years and have no wear at all. I also really like Uggs. They last forever.

Yabob100 t1_iqtn2fm wrote

I love my blundstones

Jimmytowne t1_iqtyr6i wrote

Sorel and LL Bean will work for your needs. LL bean will last a little longer but Sorel are more comfortable

Jbergun t1_iqv7bur wrote

Being a chicago resident for over 30yrs i can tell you 1 thing. The boots are going to get beat tf up. Any cloth or leather with be soaked in salt water the first year. Finding a boot that will resist that is difficult. Mentioned brands both have rubber encasing the bottom half of the shoe. Which in chicago is needed.

Rexburg93 t1_iqwje2g wrote

It's not like you need another recommendation for Sorels, but they are sturdy. I have a pair of North Face winter boots, I lived north of Chicago, and those are the nicest, sturdiest, warmest boots I've ever owned. They were my daily (in the winter) footwear for 4 years of college walking 2-4 miles outside a day and they still look new.

grumpy__growlithe OP t1_iqwlhvc wrote

Thank you for the advice. Yeah, I figure they’re going to take a beating. I like the looks of the ll bean ones, but figure the leather will get trashed so the more sturdy looks sorels may be the move

Helodaye t1_iqwwgxq wrote

Vivobarefoot also last for life and they have winter model ;) and in addition it’s a B Corp

Bornin1462 t1_iqxkxtt wrote

Just get bean boots. Are there more comfortable boots? Yes. Are there cheaper boots? Yes. Will bean boots look exactly the same for like 40 years? Yes.

Own-Safe-4683 t1_iqxmzhy wrote

Lands End makes a pair I Iike with side zippers. They also come in wide sizes which isn't easy to find for boots. They'll go 50% off the week of Thanksgiving and they'll last about 3 years. I moved from Chicago last year (good luck BTW) and I needed something easy to get on and off. No one wants your messy boots in their house. Most homes do not have a lot of space by the front door. Consider a boot that you can get off easily before you remove all your layers.

I know 3 years isn't BIFL but between the price difference and how smelly they get I decided to go with Lands End.

chasonreddit t1_iqxtxgn wrote

This would be my answer. L.L Bean Duck boots for women. Are they attractive? No, but OP didn't ask for that. Will they last forever? No, but they will probably outlast you.

Jbergun t1_iqy36f4 wrote

I have seen many people use LL beans over a few years but i cant say they are bifl in chicago. The sorel look to be very well made heavy duty. Good luck in the city there is a chicago sub you might find interesting.

AsterBlomsterMonster t1_irmepqg wrote

Most definitely Sorel still has the lasting power. My waterproof Columbia hiking boots are still going strong too!