Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

bmx13 t1_iqyqu5e wrote

As a sparky they should last you forever tbh. I've seen framers get 20 years out of Occidental with no maintenance and Montana winters.

Reaching4ThoseGrapes OP t1_iqyrtde wrote

Wanted to give myself some wiggle room for if I do something stupid to ‘em. I know myself.

Ritzyb t1_iqzadeu wrote

I’m one of those framers. Not quite 20 but when a pouch goes I order a new one, probably 12 years or so.

Adseg5 t1_iqytr0w wrote

Mine have about five years of wet pnw winters and haven't been conditioned but seeing OPs, now I'm interested what mine would look like!

haunted-liver-1 t1_iqz1b3x wrote

20 years is not forever :/

−28

bigwebs t1_iqz71v7 wrote

2 in a career is pretty darn good for any type of equipment.

Not forever of course, but almost.

handicappedpooper t1_ir1l1wr wrote

“No maintenance” it’s not bifl for morons that don’t maintain their gear

haunted-liver-1 t1_ir1wo6c wrote

My point is if you buy good quality leather alternatives, you don't need to do any maintenance, It lasts generations, and no animals are killed.

−3

handicappedpooper t1_ir1x4ua wrote

What “leather alternatives” last generations on job sites?

handicappedpooper t1_ir21d3y wrote

Poly microfiber is not a leather alternative and will disintegrate after a couple years of good use. Not saying that’s a bad thing, you can just buy another pair, but I would rather not send my boots to the land fill every other year. Cheers.

haunted-liver-1 t1_ir22dp8 wrote

"Cheap leather wallets are not durable and will disintegrate after a couple years of good use"

As with leather, it depends on the quality. Vegetarian Shoes' Uppers definitely don't disintegrate. The longest review I saw was 30 years and still going strong. Mine are only 3 years old, but already in way better shape than my leather boots after 3 years of hard use.

You really need to differentiate between cheap Chinese companies that use fake leather to cut costs vs companies that spend more on leather alternatives because they're more durable.