Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

himmelundhoelle t1_ir2de35 wrote

How does your dad do it? Does he shit in a bucket, pisses to top, and throws the belt in to simmer a few hours, or does just grab the log as it sees the day and uses it as a fat crayon all over the belt, then shakes off the flakes when the shit's dried? Genuinely curious

PadBunGuy t1_ir2dubo wrote

It’s more the log and crayon method. Sometimes if the log is too dry he’ll rehydrate it to help bring out the natural oils. Never thought of rehydrating with urine though….I may try that out next time.

himmelundhoelle t1_ir2glwt wrote

Re-reading my comment, I realize the urine part could come across as a fucked up joke -- but glad you didn't take it this way! For the uninformed, urine (as well as dung) has been used for centuries for tanning leather, and for a reason.

I would like to do the same treatment for my brown leather shoes (not the white ones for obvious reasons!), but I can't seem to produce clean logs -- see I have the opposite problem as your father, it's too loose and mushy -- and my girlfriend's are truly a leatherhead's dream but alas she refuses to let me anywhere near it and it's a subject we can't really touch anymore...

Anyway, I'd ask if your dad offers his services, but I don't live in the US, so nevermind. Keep it up though! Hope you can do the same for your kids.

PadBunGuy t1_ir2h57k wrote

It’s cool no offense taken

Yeah that’s a tough one. My stool was not leather-grade for many years. Have you tried increasing your fiber intake? My father never has sold his logs previously but has handed it out to friends. He may be able to ship it overseas if you’re willing to cover shipping. I’ll DM you some photos. Shame your gf is so closed minded. From what you describe id love to get my hands on one of her logs.

himmelundhoelle t1_ir2jn0s wrote

Yeah we're working on my diet, might be stress too, idk -- anyway.

I thought more of having him do the shoes as a paid job ofc, never thought about handling someone else's feces myself (except my gf's but that's ok, kind of like using each other's toothbrush).

Don't judge her btw, tbh most people find it weird as fuck that someone would want to fish their logs out of the bowl, and I totally get it, in a way. Everyone has their peculiarities, and it's wise to respect your partner's. Yeah her shits are premium, I'm flattered for her btw, but hands off buddy, it's my girl -- and if I can barely see the goods, no chance you'll ever get your hands on them ;)

Truth is I'm not sure I'm willing to pay that much for getting a literal chunk of human shit mailed to me across the pond and all across Europe...

I really do appreciate the offer though, and I'd say yes weren't it for the prohibitive postage costs. I don't mind the pics if you have them on hand, though (pls don't trouble your dad for me), just to get an idea what to aim for.

Congrats on having refined your stool into a fine nourishing paste btw -- but why is your dad doing your leather, if I may ask, since you have achieved a seemingly honorable level yourself? I mean, if I could I'd do it myself!

PadBunGuy t1_ir2qnq9 wrote

Ah I understand. Ha! Sure I can send some pics of my dads poop your way. I know I have some photos of his heartier logs filed on my pc so when I get home tomorrow I’ll see what I can dig up for ya.

But ya I do my own leatherwork nowadays but my dad just does a way better job plus his poops are much better than mine. So sometimes on Christmas he’ll gift me a log or two or just do my entire belt. I hope to be as good as him one day

And hey man. I’m sorry if I crossed a line by complimenting your girlfriends poops. I didn’t mean to go that far. You got ya a good one that’s for sure. You better hurry up and put a ring on her finger!

Anyways, may god be with you on your quest!

himmelundhoelle t1_ir2tjgc wrote

Yeah, I get it, the old man's a veteran!

Dude please, it's the internet, don't sweat it. As I said we're (I mean I am, and she would be if she understood) more like flattered. I mean if another guy came to her and asked to cope a feel of her doodoo, I'd be less than pleased for sure. But we're strangers discussing on Reddit, there's no harm -- I put an emoji so it comes across as lighthearted, but you know, text format and conveying tone...

I'm lucky to have her for other reasons too, and you're also lucky to share this hobby with your father; like most people, mine doesn't really understand :/

Looking forward to the pics, and I hope you get the nice fat brown greasepencil you deserve for Christmas, kind sir!