Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AndMarmaladeSkies t1_iris6m9 wrote

Saddleback is one of the top BIFL leather bag/briefcase makers. The style isn’t for everyone. And it takes a long time to break in. But I can legit see mine being handed down to grandchildren. So durable.

As for laptops: they don’t make a bag with integrated padding. Or zippers last I checked. For a laptop most would add a padded sleeve. Also they are heavy. But 100 yr warranty.

jkemp5891 t1_irjyz6j wrote

Have one custom made if you can afford it. A good leather craftsman will outperform saddleback.

ze-phoenix t1_irkf45w wrote

Look up Mitchell Leather from Wisconsin. Family business which literally sells a hundred or so briefcases a year. The quality, workmanship and attention to detail is pathological. Love them.

If money no bar then look at Swaine Adeney. Very classical briefcases and attaches. The Bond and Westminster are my particular favorites

juneuprising t1_irkoezr wrote

Not leather but Manhattan Portage has been my daily for almost a decade now. Carried my laptop, a change of clothes, and it has a little wet compartment for my umbrella.

PeterC18st t1_irmq0eg wrote

It ain’t leather but it sure as has lasted me 2 decades now for my j sling and 1 decade on my walls streeter. I’ve changed the strap a twice, as it looses it spring. Still my edc.

coldfootwpulses t1_irk0h9t wrote

filson for nonleather and saddelback for leather - if you want it to last forever. looks are obvious subjective (i hate the saddelback looks). stuart & lau also makes a nice canvass briefcase.

filson is fairly water resistant and much lighter than saddelback. the other leather brand i like is linjer.

iMoneyProMax t1_irknlhu wrote

Leather won’t be water resistant and tbh id skip leather for water resistance. If you only need the laptop to be safe a pelican laptop case will do the job.

Naturalwander t1_iro4jhi wrote

I am OBSESSED with this Etsy shop bags. I have one of the backpack convertible satchels and in all my life I’ve never seen or had anything of such high quality leather. This thing will last forever. And a very special bonus - the artist is a generational leather maker from Kiev, Ukraine. My bag was ordered and received within 2 weeks. Win.win.win. https://www.etsy.com/shop/OkraShop

Muncie4 t1_irj0ck0 wrote

Every briefcase is water resistant as that's not a term with a metric. You buy waterproof items or you don't and this is a bridge you have to cross. +1 on Saddleback if you like the style and are OK with a heavy weight bag. If you cross the waterproof bridge https://zerohalliburton.com/

−2