Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Clearandblue t1_irmb28n wrote

Does in sunlight. UV tends to break down most plastic and I can't see plastic wrap being particularly UV resistant as it has no need to be. Normally. If you're not keeping it for 20+ years.

Edit: sorry, to be clear I just meant it would degrade by breaking down into tiny pieces. Not trying to say it is biodegradable or anything. Just that it'll go brittle and turn to dust if too much UV gets to it.

Childhood_Charming t1_irmetmj wrote

So dust we breath in? Plastic dust!!

Clearandblue t1_irmg9tj wrote

Ha not necessarily. We could also eat it if it gets into the soil. Or drink it if it gets into the water. The reason I know is because I once left a roll of shrink wrap (the kind you'd use to wrap up luggage or boxes) down the side of my shed for a summer by accident. After the tail end of a British summer that thing was disintegrating in my hands. Had to be careful to dispose of it without just spreading it.

That wrap was more heavy duty than the kitchen stuff. It had been left in partial sun down the side of my shed and it had only been subject to a few months of British summer. Where even the direct UV index would never really exceed 7. Let alone partial shade.

So it made me realise how quickly plastic wrap can degrade in UV. You can get special stuff that's more UV resistant but it costs a lot of money. Even then you'd be lucky to exceed 7 years I think.

entropop t1_irmkpap wrote

I tried to make a greenhouse for early seed germination once with cling wrap. It was really great for a couple weeks and then just kind of turned to dust.

seklerek t1_irmb9au wrote

Ah fair enough then, but you'd think this wasn't really exposed to UV because it was in a box the whole time.

Clearandblue t1_irmfov4 wrote

Yeah for sure. I just thought over 26 years the family did a good job of keeping it stored well and never leaving it out.

Albatross85x t1_irn2g16 wrote

Gets flaky. Reminds me of the kid from school with bad psoriasis.